Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
LOL

And before you make the "Sound quality is bad" argument, understand that argument is in my favor, as people buy the Beats name over other brands.

I fully understand that people buy Beats because the brand is fashionable as that's what matters to the average consumer.

I don't think the quality of Beats headphones & earphones is very good and the sound certainly isn't. However, like any company I think they have to try and produce good products to keep people buying their products and I do actually like the minimalist look and design of the Beats X earphones. I hope they are good, but Beats earphones priced at £130 reek of low-end mediocrity. I will be happy to be proven wrong, mind.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
I fully understand that people buy Beats because the brand is fashionable as that's what matters to the average consumer.

I don't think the quality of Beats headphones & earphones is very good and the sound certainly isn't. However, like any company I think they have to try and produce good products to keep people buying their products and I do actually like the minimalist look and design of the Beats X earphones. I hope they are good, but Beats earphones priced at £130 reek of low-end mediocrity. I will be happy to be proven wrong, mind.
But you haven't tried the NEW ones right?

BreadofWonder

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2016
Are the powerbeats "on-ear" or "in-ear"?
Powerbeats are looking to big to be in-ears.
I use inears from shure SE420 and westone um30 and I really like them, but they are wired... Looking for an alternative.
What about aptx? I use Spotify on my iPhone. I don't understand, how aptx is implemented. Will I have a poor sound quality using BT?
These are in-ears. They do not use aptx, but then again, neither does the iPhone, so it's a bit of a non-issue. And, for what it's worth, I use aptx with my computer and find that the sound quality is only marginally better. If sound quality is your number one requirement, at this point go wired or go home.

Reactions: Rocko99

Jemi9OD

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2010
Durham, NC
How is this different from Powerbeats 2? more battery life?
The W1 chip enhances the ability to pair to your iCloud account; meaning you don't have to pair separately to your iPhone, iPad, Macbook and Apple Watch, but rather pair once and you're done.

Additionally, W1 handles power management better getting 12 hours of use on the PB3 versus 6 hours on the PB2.

For me, I didn't feel those two features are worth the $120 or so I'd have to pay above what I paid for my PB2's.

Reactions: nezr and CaptMarvel

CaptMarvel

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina
I have the previous version of the PowerBeats, and they're the best I could find for working out, cycling and running. I tried others like the Jawbone, and standard Apple ear buds, but they didn't stay in my ear after sweating.

Also, when I'm outside, I want to be able to hear the outside noise in addition to my music, so I don't end up a statistic on the highway not being able to hear a car horn or something else. So, these work fine for that. Sound is not as great, but that's to be expected when you have these requirements. My main requirement was for them to stay on my ear, and they work fine.

I haven't had an issue with them for the past 1 1/2 years that I've had them. Never broke.

I have an over-the-ear Bose noise-cancelling when I'm at my desk at work.

In comparison to the previously mentioned PowerBeats 2 you mentioned? And do you mean lower volume, more muddy sound? Care to elaborate any?

I expect that Apple will continue to encroach however. Now with the AirPods and then through the chips they are placing in the beats headphones to work with Apple products. Maybe they move to naming the in the ear to Apple pods and the on/over the ear as beats. But somehow the word beats does not seem to fit so comfortably in the Apple vernacular. What I mean is that they tend to be litteralist -- i.e. iPhone, iPad, macBook, Apple Watch, Apple TV, EarPods, iOS, macOS, tvOS, watchOS, Apple Music, iBooks. Even when it's not so literal, the have something tangible - i.e. Apple, Macintosh, iTunes, Pages, Numbers. Beats is neither literal nor tangible.

I have no issue with the brand having a significant and positive recognition and I agree that it would therefore be difficult and dumb to switch the name overnight. But I still see it as a one off name and I would not be surprised if there is a slow encroachment (especially because Apple seems to be going very slow these days).

Maybe the name Apple Beats? Even though that sounds like a fresh produce product :eek:

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
How long did you have them for before they broke? Should the warranty not have covered it?
I had them about a year and warranty only covered battery or electronic defect. No coverage for a broken part. I understood, not mad, just thought I would mention to be gentle with them. The joint when you see them in person is where mine broke. Its a small point on the earpiece that is used to route the wire from the electronics to the ear driver. Its held together with just a connection around the rim of that joint. I assume the glue gave away. I glued them back together and so far (3 months) still holding.

Macaddict16

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2002
The original post image - but I guess that's Australian. Still, I'll stick with my $25 Motorola's over those $200 ones.

Sorry, I didn't even notice that!

I have been waiting for hem to come out since I have a pair of Jaybirds that are going bad and have a replacement plan through Best Buy. Going to go with the PowerBeats3 and hopefully get a replacement plan on those as well. I apparently am rough on headphones...

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
In comparison to the previously mentioned PowerBeats 2 you mentioned? And do you mean lower volume, more muddy sound? Care to elaborate any?

The sound from my PowerBeats 2 just seems less crisp, less oomph at a normal volume compared to others I've tried. I don't know how else to explain it.

Others like the JBL blocked the outside noise a little better, maybe that's why it was 'crisper'. But, again, I didn't like that they blocked out the noise better. I wanted to hear the outside noise a bit.

Again, these are in noisy environments. In a quiet environment, my PowerBeats 2 at a medium-to-high volume sounded the same as the others. I'm not an audiophile at all, I just did quick tests of about 4-5 different brands before I purchased.

wdfly

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
powerbeats3-aus-2.jpg

that's a pretty big delivery window, april 11 to august 11. ;)

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
Funny how all are shipping November 1-3 except the color I want, Blue. I'd have thought the classic red/black or neon yellow would be the most popular because that's the most common color I see at the gym.

And where are the BeatsX? This is getting ridiculous. More than a month after announcing them yet still no word on availability? What is going on at Apple?

Reactions: clunkmess
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.