Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShadowHunter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2003
Fresno
I've got my new 15" 1.5Ghz PowerBook G4 folding away today. On the Gromac I've been working on, it seems to be about 10 minutes per frame? That seems awfully high maybe? My parents' AthlonXP 1900+ does a frame in 6 minutes!

To add to my confusion, I shut down my PB to commute home, and when I started it back up it seems to now be taking 30 minutes per frame????

What's the deal? I'm always plugged in? Did the processor slow due to heat...? It IS kinda hot around here...

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
Folding is a weird application. Don't use it as a speed comparison for your laptop. For that, I recommend xBench. Your computer should average a score of 125-135.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
ShadowHunter said:
I've got my new 15" 1.5Ghz PowerBook G4 folding away today. On the Gromac I've been working on, it seems to be about 10 minutes per frame? That seems awfully high maybe? My parents' AthlonXP 1900+ does a frame in 6 minutes!
It all varies per WU, this 1.33GHz 12" takes 15 minutes/frame, but not all Gromacs are created equal. I currently have p736_protein which takes a whopping 50 minutes/frame. These evil Gromacs take 35/40 on my Athlon 2800+. I think you just have to accept the G4s are inherently slower.
To add to my confusion, I shut down my PB to commute home, and when I started it back up it seems to now be taking 30 minutes per frame????
Yeah, I've seen this happen. It's because when you see on FAHlog.txt "previous core shutdown improper" (or something very similair), it does not use the exra AltiVec/SSE boost options. Shut down and restart the core, and you'll be back up to speed.

ShadowHunter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2003
Fresno
brap said:
It all varies per WU, this 1.33GHz 12" takes 15 minutes/frame, but not all Gromacs are created equal. I currently have p736_protein which takes a whopping 50 minutes/frame. These evil Gromacs take 35/40 on my Athlon 2800+. I think you just have to accept the G4s are inherently slower.

Yeah, I've seen this happen. It's because when you see on FAHlog.txt "previous core shutdown improper" (or something very similair), it does not use the exra AltiVec/SSE boost options. Shut down and restart the core, and you'll be back up to speed.

Thanks for the tips, that's helpful.

However, how do I restart the core other then restarting my comptuer?

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
ShadowHunter said:
Thanks for the tips, that's helpful.

However, how do I restart the core other then restarting my comptuer?
Well, it depends which client you rn. I'm using InCrease on mine, and there's an option to view FAHlog. You want to look at this and see if you did get the previous shutdown improper message, because if not then that's not the problem! (uh-oh). Can't say I've used any other Mac clients, so someone else will prolly have to help.
If you do run InCrease, hit the 'stop' button, and hit 'start' again. Check FAHlog to see if it worked (which it should), Bob's your auntie.

macsrus

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2004
Terra Firma
brap said:

Yes it is very dependent on the work problem you get...

But dont worry the large workload problems give alot of points

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.