Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

visor

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2003
in bed
Originally posted by DHagan4755
Where are they getting that info? I just went to the Apple Store and it still says "Same Day Shipping."

Never mind those time indications.
I went to the the applestore over 2 weeks ago to order an IPod. It said shipping in 8-10 days.
I't not even build yet much less shipped or arrived here.
Actually this always happens when I order something at the Apllestore. No order I've placed there was delivered in under 3 weeks yet.
Anyway, If supplies are dwindeling, it does mean that they still have some and can quickly pack em up and ship them, right?

It doesn't mean however that the new PB 's will be out before the WWDC. Remember 5gig IPods where also out for about 4 months before the new ones came up?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Sort of have to wonder... rumor mongers have been saying there has been an oversupply of TiBook 15s that Apple is trying to burn through, then technical problems, then re-engineering, 970s, etc. :rolleyes:

Just sort of interesting the turns things have taken since Steve delayed OS 9 boot-death. ie, speed bumped iBooks and updated SDR eMacs -- both still OS 9 bootable.

freundt

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2003
Seattle
...and?

so this means that they current supply is down - makes sense in regards to the anticipation of a new release.... Still doesn't mean 970 powerbooks or anything... I mean, who here doubts the 15" will be updated soon?

Grumble, grumble, grumble....

Escher

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2001
Dakar, Senegal
Where are they getting that info?

Here's the original text from MacBidouille:
Selon une source bien informée en Europe, les stocks de Powerbook 15" Ti sont pratiquement épuisés. Il ne reste que quelques modèles Superdrive.
La date de réapprovisionnement de ces machines est fixée au 13 Juin, alors que tout le reste de la gamme est au 28 mai.

Here's my translation:

According to a well-informed source in Europe, stock of 15" PowerBooks is almost down to zero. There are only a few SuperDrive models left.
The restocking date for those PowerBooks is June 13, while the restock date for the rest of the line is May 28.

It's not clear whether "those PowerBooks" refers only to the SD model or to all 15" PowerBooks. It's also not clear whether the "rest of the line" refers to the rest of the PowerBook line of the rest of the entire line, i.e. laptops and desktops.

Escher

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
New Rumors on the 15.4'' PB

MacBidouille posts the following.

Selon une source bien informée en Europe, les stocks de Powerbook 15" Ti sont pratiquement épuisés. Il ne reste que quelques modèles Superdrive.
La date de réapprovisionnement de ces machines est fixée au 13 Juin, alors que tout le reste de la gamme est au 28 mai.

After a well informed source in Europe, the stocks of the 15'' PB are nearly gone. There are only some models with superdrive left.
The restock date is fixed @ the 13 June, the rest of the line will be restocked on the 28 th may.

Now, do you think they will not update it @ the WWCD, as from the 13 june to the 20 th, it seems quiet improbable? huh?

dennis88

macrumors member
May 13, 2003
hmm, maybe I should wait for the 15" after all?
It's driving me crazy!

If I knew that the new 15" will come in june, then I would wait.

greg6028

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2002
Cedar Rapids
Powerbook

My take is that we might see a dual G4 PowerBook. But I think Steve is going to introduce a new 970 desktop, not a new PowerBook. (that is going to happen SFMW 2004)

Has he ever introduced both a new Desktop and PowerBook and the same time?

Escher

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2001
Dakar, Senegal
Re: New Rumors on the 15.4'' PB

Originally posted by maradong
Now, do you think they will not update it @ the WWCD, as from the 13 june to the 20 th, it seems quiet improbable? huh?

Merçi pour la deuxième traduction, maradong. :)

I had completely forgotten that June 13 is the date of Jobs' WWDC keynote, which coincides with the restock date indicated by MacBidouille. Of course this coincidence can be either planned by Apple, or planned by the person who planted a false rumor. IMO, it's the former, since MacBidouille quotes a "well-informed source."

Escher

babu

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2003
CA
powerbook

:D hey, I feel so bad about the whole powerbook thing. I got one last march for 4,000 @ 667mghz. and have been trying to get a new computer because the speed is so slow. But, I hope that they come out with A more powerfull 12in so that when/if they upgrade I willl be able to get a new mobile for typing and doing homework on, and then have a dualy maxed out for my desktop, so that I can do video apps. Ohh, I should say that I would never by from a store that sells apple rather than the one online, because they sometimes have better options for your apple. I boaght the cube from them wwhen it first came out and got 20 gigs more one it than any that they offered in the stores, and it came about a week before any other store was able to get them in stock, and qith my Ipod, I ordered it on tues, and got it Fri in the morning, so I must have been really lucky, if for some of you it takes 3 weeks. But look on the site anyway before you buy, and see if you can get a more space than in a store, because an extra 20gigs is alot of space

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Re: Powerbook

Originally posted by greg6028
My take is that we might see a dual G4 PowerBook. But I think Steve is going to introduce a new 970 desktop, not a new PowerBook. (that is going to happen SFMW 2004)

Has he ever introduced both a new Desktop and PowerBook and the same time?

Well, actually, the G3 was introduced in the PowerBook about one week before the Power Mac. So, anything is possible.

I do hope that this is true. I'm holding my breath trying to squeak by on this old PB3400 until the 15" is updated....

So, please don't let me hear anyone complain about how slow a 667 G4 PB is. ;)

joelc

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2003
CA
Re: Re: Powerbook

Originally posted by Snowy_River
Well, actually, the G3 was introduced in the PowerBook about one week before the Power Mac. So, anything is possible.

I do hope that this is true. I'm holding my breath trying to squeak by on this old PB3400 until the 15" is updated....

So, please don't let me hear anyone complain about how slow a 667 G4 PB is. ;)

Yeah...I still use my Quadra 840av daily! And let me say, it's speedy

nydoofus

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2003
Re: Re: New Rumors on the 15.4'' PB

Originally posted by Escher
Merçi pour la deuxième traduction, maradong. :)

I had completely forgotten that June 13 is the date of Jobs' WWDC keynote, which coincides with the restock date indicated by MacBidouille. Of course this coincidence can be either planned by Apple, or planned by the person who planted a false rumor. IMO, it's the former, since MacBidouille quotes a "well-informed source."

Escher

Isn't the first day of WWDC the 23rd and not the 13th?

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
Everyone's doing the 15.4-inch screen, it seems

Everybody's doing the 15.4-inch screen now...Apple better chef-up their version soon...

Notebook PC
HP has launched a 'ground-breaking' graphics and multimedia-oriented 15.4in widescreen notebook, the Compaq Presario X1000.

The X1000 is based on Intel's Centrino platform, offering a Pentium M CPU at 1.3, 1.4, 1.5 and 1.6GHz, plus Intel's Pro Wireless 2100 802.11b card. HP is offering an integrated Bluetooth module as an option.

The 15.4in display operates at 1920x1200, 1680x1050 and 1280x800 widescreen resolutions. It's apparently "20 per cent brighter, features 33 per cent wider viewing angles and includes an improved contrast ratio compared to traditional notebook displays". It is driven by a choice of ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 with 64MB or 32MB of DDR SDRAM, or the Mobility Radeon 7500 with 32MB of DDR.

Buyers can select a 40, 60 or 80GB 5400rpm hard drive, and a 24x CD-ROM, 8x DVD, 24x CD-RW/DVD combo, or DVD+RW optical drive. They can add up to 2GB of 266MHz DDR SDRAM.

Whatever options buyers choose, they'll get three USB 2.0 ports, one 1394 port and an S-Video output. The X1000 sports integrated 10/100Mbps Ethernet, a built-in 56Kbps modem and an SD/MMC card slot.

The notebook is 3.25cm (1.3in) thick and only weighs 2.95kg (6.5lbs). It offers five hours' of battery life, HP claims. It goes on sale on 21 May in the US for around $1299 and up. ®

macdong

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2003
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by visor
Never mind those time indications.
I went to the the applestore over 2 weeks ago to order an IPod. It said shipping in 8-10 days.
I't not even build yet much less shipped or arrived here.
Actually this always happens when I order something at the Apllestore. No order I've placed there was delivered in under 3 weeks yet.
Anyway, If supplies are dwindeling, it does mean that they still have some and can quickly pack em up and ship them, right?

It doesn't mean however that the new PB 's will be out before the WWDC. Remember 5gig IPods where also out for about 4 months before the new ones came up?

I ordered an iPod from Apple store last thursday, and it's shipped today...
pretty fast for me.

illumin8

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2003
East Coast, US
Re: Everyone's doing the 15.4-inch screen, it seems

Everybody's doing the 15.4-inch screen now...Apple better chef-up their version soon...
I have to say... the specs for that Compaq notebook sound pretty sweet. Why can't Apple make a Powerbook with similar features at that price point??? Oh, I forgot, they somehow feel the need to make 1/3rd markup over normal retail prices... In this market you really can't be pigheaded like that. When will Steve Jobs realize that you have to compete with the Compaqs and Dells of this world if you want to gain more than 3% market share?

I look at my own situation and I am dying to switch... I've been using Windows since v3.1 and Linux for the last 6 years... Give me a Powerbook that is nearly as fast as a PIV and I'll switch in a heartbeat, but I'm not about to switch to a 15" TiBook with only a 133mhz. FSB when Intel will give me 400 for half the price... It's just getting ridiculous... Please let the 970 Powerbook come out in June... Otherwise, I will probably never switch and Apple will never see my money (except for the 30GB iPod I just bought recently).

Escher

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2001
Dakar, Senegal
Re: Everyone's doing the 15.4-inch screen, it seems

Holy ****, the HP X1000 does 1920x1200 on its 15.4" widescreen? My eyes just hurt thinking about those tiny pixels. Apple better introduce OS-level scaling of the interface if it wants to move up to 1920x1200 on such a (relatively) small LCD.

Escher

dilg

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2003
Originally posted by macdong
I ordered an iPod from Apple store last thursday, and it's shipped today...
pretty fast for me.

Same for me.. A friend and I both ordered iPods last Thurs, but he requested laser engraving which should have added 5-7 days on the order. We both got shipping confirmations today. What's up with that?

inktomite

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2003
15" pb ordered and shipped same day

i ordered one yesterday from apple.com. i had a tracking number the very same day, saying it was shipped out fed ex ground. i may have the piece by tomorrow or friday.

stay with the titanium. first rev 12 and 17 wasnt perfect, and dont expect the first rev 15 to be either.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Re: 15" pb ordered and shipped same day

Originally posted by inktomite
i ordered one yesterday from apple.com. i had a tracking number the very same day, saying it was shipped out fed ex ground. i may have the piece by tomorrow or friday.

stay with the titanium. first rev 12 and 17 wasnt perfect, and dont expect the first rev 15 to be either.

egads! Why would you buy a 15"PB now? Unless it was mission critical, I just can't see doing that. I will grant the possibility that the next rev of the 15" may have some issues, but if you had waited until it came out don't you think that you could have gotten a deal on a 15" TiBook?

primalman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
at the end of the hall
I think new 15" is coming in June....

I have a take on this...

I do think that the supplies of 15" Powerbooks in APPLE's channel are down, but maybe not the independent retailers. As an example, I work for a US state university. The normal retail price for a 1ghz Powerbook 15" is $2,799, the education price for an individual is $2,649 and the education price for the instistution is $2,499. AppleCare for all is $332 except for the institutional price, which is $239. Directly ordering from the Apple regional Education Rep by the school's buyer got me a 1ghz 15" PB for $2060 + $239 for AppleCare.

They are clearing the channel. They do these special, non-advertised discounts at school whenever they are clearing as much of the stock as they can. They have done this with iBooks, iMacs and PowerMacs in the past.

Oh, by the way, the 15-20% discounts are good on 12" PB, 1ghz 15" PB [no 867 15" special, may be really low on stock and ready to take the loss on the remaining stock as a charge], and all iBooks. No specials on the 17" PB. My guess is the the 15" is getting the new form factor, the 12" is getting a speed and/or bus bump, and the iBook, well, they would just like to sell a lot of 'em.

And the special ends on no difinitive date, the rep just said "mid-June or so." Sounds like WWDC to me.

If you work for edu or are a student, go see your Apple Buyer at your bookstore or computer center on campus, it may be worth your while!

:)

rjwill246

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2003
USA (often) and Adelaide, OZ
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.