Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
After some serious thinking I've decided to buy a 12" Powerbook and a external HD.
Here comes the problem, this PB only has 1 FW400 port.
I currently have an IPod (10gb, FW only) and a Canon Dv cam (with FW).
What external FW can i connect up to the Powerbook, and then connect the iPod (or DVcam) to the FWHD?
I know that the LaCie Porsche has two FW400 ports, can I connect the DVcam or iPod to the Lacie Porsche and the Lacie to the Powerbook?
I think the Lacie D2 only has one FW400 port?
Anyone know about WD-dual option or Maxtor OneTouch 7000 series?

!! no, using the drive with USB2.0 wont be an option for me.

-tb
----------------------------
soon to get:
Powerbook 12"
own:
Se, Se30, IIsi, 610, 7100, G3/266, G4/AGP@400
Portable!!(still works!!) pb 100(dead) pb180, duo 230, duo 2300

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I have a WD external 80gb HDD. I have been able to connect my iPod for iTunes. So I think that your MiniDV should be no problem.

The other alternative is a FW hub. But that may end up being redundant.

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
don't worry...

FireWire is bridgeable. Most External FireWire drives come with two firewire ports on them, with the exception of the iPod of course. Heres how to do it: 1. plug in you external HD 2.When you want to plug in your iPod, or your DV camera, just plug that into the extra firewire port on the back of the EX. HD.

Now i'm not sure how long your battery life will be with 3 HD's running, but good luck anyway.

--if your drive only has one firewire port then i think that you should look for a firewire hub.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
yeah if you get a external HD with two FW ports on it, should work no worries. i've got an external HD, just tried plugging in my iPod yesterday in fact, it just works the same as if you plug it in to your Mac.

and if the external HD only has one FW port, time to start looking for a better HD, or better yet, get a HD and enclosure and put it together yourself.

ChrisFromCanada

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2004
Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
when connecting my FW camera throught my firewire Hard Drive and then capturing to that same hard drive I expirienced problems. The bandwidth wan't big enough on the firewire and I lost frames. My solution was to connect the camera to my other firewire port because I have 2 :D So if you were planning on capturing to that same Hard Drive it may not work.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
ChrisFromCanada said:
when connecting my FW camera throught my firewire Hard Drive and then capturing to that same hard drive I expirienced problems. The bandwidth wan't big enough on the firewire and I lost frames. My solution was to connect the camera to my other firewire port because I have 2 :D So if you were planning on capturing to that same Hard Drive it may not work.

Has anybody had the same bandwidth problem?
If i get a FW hub, they still have to share the same bandwidth.

Any solutions for using a PB12 with an ext.hd + DVcam?

-tb

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.