Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

umdjb

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2006
Washington D.C.
I noticed that my computer monitor on my 12" PowerBook as a sharper contrast and different presentation of colors than my external 19" Dell monitor and other PC labtops I observe.

Does anyone know why that is. Does that have to deal with a superior graphics card or display?

Thanks!

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I'm pretty sure it has mostly to do with the display. Apple has always had superior displayes compared to other companys, so I'm pretty sure thats it.

I doubt its the graphics card, because PCs have much more options when it comes to the GPU than Macs.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
In my years in tech industry "sharper" can mean many things and it is quite subjective. So your sharper maybe someone else's dimmer. mac notebook can have better lcd display than pc notebooks or flat panels. However, the reverse can be true as well. You can compare technical specs with each other and see which is technical better. However, most ppl don't know or care about this. Just be happy, you like your apple display.

The lcd in apple notebooks are not made by apple, they are made by probably the same people that make other people's lcd displays. if you search around the forums for example your'll find the a dell 15" fp and the apple 15" use the same lcd display with different external covers. Might take some work, but i bet you can find notebooks in the pc world that share the same screen as apple notebooks. as to graphic chipset you can have the same chipset on macs and pcs. however, you are comparing apples on oranges when you are mixing and matching displays for a fair comparison.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.