PowerBook G3 OS 9 install issues

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Lil Chillbil, May 16, 2013.

1. macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

Ok so I recently purchased a powerbook g3 pismo 250mhz with 160 mb of ram

It only boots with all extensions off because this is a corrupt copy of os 9 and I would like to install my retail copy of os 9. now the issue is that when I boot with extensions off it also turns off the cd-rom extensions so i can't load the disk and re-install

any help would be very apprecated

2. thread starter macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

Ignore the post guys, It just randomly started working fine enough for me to re-install the os update the software and install classila and quake III and office 98

3. macrumors 68040

California

What is a Pismo 250? Isn't that a Lombard?

4. macrumors 68000

Goftrey

It could be a Kanga too. AFAIK the Pismo's were shipped with 400/500MHz G3's. Explain yourself sir!

5. thread starter macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

ok so I had just assumed that (never seeing a g3 powerbook until yesturday and just flat out avoiding the subject for several months never googling anything about them) that they were all called pismos, now when you guys told me about that I hoisted out my old friend jeff from the pit in my basement and he informed me that mine is actually called a wallstreet

6. macrumors 68040

California

LOL. Well nice machine I think they can handle Tiger? Or at least Panther.

7. macrumors 68000

Goftrey

I'm pretty sure they run Panther & even Tiger (w/ XPostFacto) unofficially, which I really wouldn't recommend. Tiger is pretty painful even on my 500MHz iBook w/ 384mb RAM.

8. macrumors newbie

With the little VRAM it has in it, I wouldn't recommend anything above 10.2 and, unless you actually need 10.2 for some bizarre reason, I believe you should just stick with OS 9 because you can't really do very much in 10.2, and it will be noticeably slower than OS9.

If you have a Kanga, you can't install anything newer than 9.2 without OS9 Helper, so that probably means no XPostFacto for OS X.