Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zerokilo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2004
My beloved powerbook g3 pismo has recently died. I usually leave iton for extended periods with the display in sleep mode and one morning it was simply dead. The power key does not respond, no fans or drives spin up, and no lights. The battery does charge so I assume its not my power board.

I have tried removing the pram battery and all other power sources for a few minutes and then trying the power button, nothing. I also tried reseating the ram and daughtercard, no luck.

I have recently added a new battery and keyboard (both internal). Also in March I got the Powerlogix G3 900 upgrade, which is why I tried the daughtercard reseat. I have had a similar problem recently when my laptop froze, then would not start up for a few minutes.

I need to know if I should try to fix the problem myself, I have lots of experience with these things as a total computer geek, but I'm not exactly sure which part is the problem. If I should just send it out what company should I send it to for the repair as I don't want to eat a huge repair bill for a 4 year old laptop.

Any advice is appreciated as I am desperate to get my beloved Pismo back in service.

THANKS

~"If it works, its obsolete."~
~Marshall Mcluhan~

zerokilo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2004
Thanks for the advice. I'l consider the Apple store, however is their priceing anythinglike apples website claims? For a repair not under warranty it could cost anywhere from $600-$1025 if a part is bad. If I just get an estimate will they tell me whta part is bad so I can replace it myself. I'm an EE at georgiatech so I'm not afraid to tool around with the laptops internals and I don't want to spend my semesters drinking money on this repair.

thanks

~"If it works, its obsolete."~
~Marshall Mcluhan~

MontgomeryBurns

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2004
Go to an apple-authorized repair shop (edit: not the apple store). They'll be able to diagnose the problem for you for a fee. Once they do that, they'll tell you what's wrong with the computer and how much the part(s) will cost to fix it.

You will save money installing the part or parts yourself, so once the diagnosis is made you can have the repair shop order the part in question or possibly find it cheaper elsewhere on your own.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
try puting the original prosessor back in those 900MHz g3's run hot hot hot

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.