Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thomas Harte

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2005
I have a Titanium 667Mhz G4 Powerbook (coconotBattery identifies it as 50 months old), and it has started acting slightly erratically when booting up. Two or three times during the last month or so it has either partly or completely played loud static noise in place of the ordinary Mac startup chime. Once it also failed to boot, sitting at a blank white screen until I switched it off (by holding the power button for a few seconds) and on again. The second boot played with an ordinary startup chime. I am using OS X 10.4.3 and I also have 9.2 installed, although I have no idea how I would boot it directly and I don't use the Classic environment.

I bought this machine about 10 months ago and it is my first Mac. I'm so happy with it that physical failure may be the only thing that could persuade me to upgrade but with these worrying signs I'm wondering if that time might be soon? Has anyone else experienced similar problems and if so were they a prelude to machine failure? Alternatively is there anything I can do to fix these problems? If my machine is in terminal decay is there anything I can do to prolong its life for as long as possible?

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Can you boot from CD? If so, do you have the hardware test CD that came with the Powerbook originally? You could run that and see if it catches anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.