Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattMK45

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2009
United Kingdom
I have the 1ghz powerbook g4 15" version and I love it! I know I should of paid more for an intel processor and I could of got a 17" 1.67 ghz for a lot cheaper but I just love it!:D

MattMK45

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2009
United Kingdom
Yes! You're correct! My powerbook has beaten the brand new macbook to boot and an ssd penryn mbp. Despite this, it is still running on a 5400rpm standard hdd!:D

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
I have a Powermac G4 dual 800 Mhz that boots faster than the latest generation Mac Mini with Snow Leopard. It’s an amazing machine up to this very day.

I love SL but am so glad that it’s not available for PPC. It would have been a disaster - the RAM management in SL is screwed up majorly. :( On the PowerMac with 1 GB RAM I can have 20 Safari tabs open, Photoshop CS running and Skype without major hiccups. On my Mac Mini (4GB RAM), as much as I love and adore the system, it’s a pain after the paging out begins.

So yes, do enjoy your Powerbook and remember that it’s from an era when Apple did MORE with less (CPU power) so their systems HAD to be optimized heavily to run like champs.

MattMK45

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2009
United Kingdom
I was thinking of selling it a while back to get an intel mac but I think I'm gonna stick with it and bump it up to 2 gigs of ram and maybe get a new hdd:D

iambasil

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
London, UK
But you'll always remain software limited on it by having to rely on an older OS. The PowerBook also has that super thin frame around the screen which is so much nicer than the wide frames in the modern macs (part of the reason for them is obviously the iSight camera). Even my 1992 LCII and Stylewriter still work a treat... not that I could use it with any of my new software!

PowerGamerX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2009
Welcome to the club :cool:. Have my PowerBook upgraded to max ram and an SSD, and it flies. Hooked up to a 20" Cinema display too. :D

JaguarGod

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2010
Yes, PowerBooks and iBooks are GREAT laptops. The G4 PowerBooks and iBooks I own today still outrun most of the other laptops in our house. Though my G4 17" 1.67 High Res does run pretty hot after long usage.:D But cooling stands help that a lot when I am in the mood to do a lot of work on them.

I still play a lot of games on my Powerbooks and my iBook gets a lot of play from my Daughters and Son. Just great products in my opinion.

blunderboy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010
Some of those PowerPC machines are pretty good. I personally switched "up" to an Intel Mac, because of dwindling support for certain applications, but I still do have a fondness for PPC machines. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.