Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jesseleeroy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
hey guys, i just need a buying tip on powerbook.

i ve been planning to get myself a powerbook for about 7-8 months ago. but then that was the whole "powerbook g5 is right around the corner!" time. so i said, okie. i rather get g5 then g4. so i waited (i surprised myself with the patience i showed :rolleyes: ) but nothing at this moment.

the thing is that, i heard somewhere g5 isnt a good processor for laptops. rather, g4 is a more ideal and better processor for laptops. hmm.. at the moment i said, YEA RIGHT!!! G5 RULES!! but then he knows more about mac than i do so... :confused:

would it be better to get a powerbook g4 that is reached its top? or wait til g5 comes out? and i would like to get a pb by the end of this summer. i dont think i can wait til 2006. =P

your help will be awesome!

The D Man

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2005
If you want one why not get it

If you continually wait for the next best thing you will never buy anything!

What do you plan to use it for, as for most people the G4 has plenty of power?

xaphonyx

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2004
las Vegas
Im a graphic designer and i work on a dual 2.0ghz g5 with 1gb of ram everyday, a few weeks ago on a business trip i had to use a 1.67ghz g4 powerbook with 512 mb of ram. What i found was, i loved the powerbook, for almost every operation i couldnt tell the difference between the g5 and the powerbook. The only time there was a notable difference was when i was working on very large hi-res imaging. Id definitly recommend getting a top of the line powerbook, the g4 is still an amazing processor and has plenty of power for almost every operation you can throw at it. Ill be buying one in a few months for personal use myself, even if a g5 powerbook comes out, im pretty sure the rev1 is going to have serious heat issues, its prolly more wise to go with the g4, they have really worked out every kink i have encountered using older powerbook g4s. Call up apple buy one, you wont regret it.

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
I am a freelance graphic designer and most recently replaced my pb with a new one (see my sig). While my old little one was ok the new 15 incher just kicks a**. Mainly I'm using my baby for vector graphic illustrations in Illustrator, where you don't have very big files in general, Photoshop and InDesign of course, as well as some little 3D modelling in Cinema 4D and for the occasional World of Warcraft. For all of these tasks it is a great machine. The mobility is very important to me since I'm often working at different agencies or meeting clients at their offices.

Either way, don't wait too long! I hope you will be happy! ;)

jesseleeroy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
The D Man said:
If you want one why not get it

If you continually wait for the next best thing you will never buy anything!

What do you plan to use it for, as for most people the G4 has plenty of power?

that is very true. :p

most of the programs i will be using are photoshop, illustrator, and few audio programs. no plans for video yet. i guess i will get one soon then since it seems like people in my field are recommending it!

thanx, guys. :D

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
jesseleeroy said:
that is very true. :p

most of the programs i will be using are photoshop, illustrator, and few audio programs. no plans for video yet. i guess i will get one soon then since it seems like people in my field are recommending it!

thanx, guys. :D

You'll be fine with the current PowerBook line-up based on your requirements. The G4 is a fine processor. Always has been.

kerpow

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2004
London
Yup, I'd been hoping that a G5 would be "right around the corner" but it never came. Therefore I bought a knocked down G4 12" Combo just last week and absolutely love it. I figure I'll use it for about 18months and then get a really good rev B of the next PB line.

Just get a PB now and put Tiger on it, that will be more than enough of a "wow factor" for you, trust me :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.