Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JCPH

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
Tannhäuser Gate
Hello all,

I'm in a little need of assistance with my PowerBook G4 Alum. 1.67GHz. The Hard Drive it came with got fried a little while back (alas, not in warranty) and I have been hesitant to try to repair it myself in the past. However, I now wish to resurrect my machine, seeing as how if I don't try this, I might as well just buy a new laptop.

What sort of HD should I buy? I know it has to be "ATA" but (1) I have no idea what that means, and (2) There seem to be many different types of HDs.

I have no problem disassembling my PowerBook but I am lost when it comes to its hard drive. I think I would like to get a HD with 7200 rpm and 80-100 GB.

I appreciate your input!

:apple: JCPH :apple:

Also, when do you see Apple releasing a MacBook with a good graphics card that isn't integrated?

FJ218700

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2007
Blue Dot, Red State
well it came with a Hitachi, so maybe choose another brand :D

If you use the laptop on your lap, a 7200 might be a bit hotter than a 5400.

I've always used seagate drives in the past and have had good luck with them

I don't think you're going to see a MacBook with a pro-type graphics setup anytime soon.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

JCPH

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
Tannhäuser Gate
What's the difference between ATA and SATA? I was told that the PowerBooks only took ATA and that SATA was only being used on the new MBPs.

:apple: JCPH :apple:

vicious7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2007
Jacked into the net...
Often abbreviated SATA or S-ATA, an evolution of the Parallel ATA physical storage interface. Serial ATA is a serial link -- a single cable with a minimum of four wires creates a point-to-point connection between devices. Transfer rates for Serial ATA begin at 150 MBps and SATA II 300MBps. One of the main design advantages of Serial ATA is that the thinner serial cables facilitate more efficient airflow inside a form factor and also allow for smaller chassis designs. In contrast, IDE cables used in parallel ATA systems are bulkier than Serial ATA cables and can only extend to 40cm long, while Serial ATA cables can extend up to one meter. Serial ATA supports all ATA and ATAPI devices .

lol...sorry. Check here for a clearer definition.

vicious7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2007
Jacked into the net...
As I understand it, a notebook will use either an ATA or a SATA drive for its internal HD and the interfaces are not interchangeable. If I remember correctly, all pre-2006 Apple notebooks use an ATA drive, so you should go with that. WD has a 5400RPM, 2.5", 120GB ATA drive that would work with your PB.

JCPH

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
Tannhäuser Gate
well it came with a Hitachi, so maybe choose another brand :D

I just took my HD out and it says: Seagate Momentus 5400. Needless to say, I'm slightly confused. I've never had work done on it and the HD has all of the apple logos on it.

Can someone explain? Can someone explain?

FJ218700

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2007
Blue Dot, Red State
I just took my HD out and it says: Seagate Momentus 5400. Needless to say, I'm slightly confused. I've never had work done on it and the HD has all of the apple logos on it.

Can someone explain? Can someone explain?

hmmm, well my PB 1.67 came with a Hitachi, so I just figured they had the contract for those models. Sorry for misleading you.

harmonica01

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2007
My brothers ddr2 1440 display later version of the 1.67 came with hitachi 100 gig, mine with 1200 display and ddr1 also with 1.67 came with hitachi.

It might be safe to say if you bought your computer used or refurbished that somebody put in the seagate hard drive as I can find no info saying there was a seagate partnership with apple powerbook in 2004-2005.

Go with the Hitachi, i've always used them in the 3 laptops I've had and am still hoping the newest MBPs in the 08 quarters have the newer hitachi 7200 drives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.