Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
I use my PowerBook in the dark, and the keyboard backlight does come in handy, especially for the function keys.

However, the backlight seems to have a mind of its own. I press F10 (the button to turn the backlight up) and the keyboard will decide how long it wants to stay lit for, then the backlight will turn off on its own. Yes, I have checked in the Keyboard and Mouse section of System Preferences, and I have it set to never turn off.

Right now it is behaving, but a few minutes ago I had to turn it on a few times.

Any ideas?

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
The sensor to turn the backlight on and off seems to be in the top 1/3 of the left speaker. Are you doing anything to alter the way light is hitting that area of the computer?

JosiahPB

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2004
Grinnell
I had the same problem. I think that it was my Logic Board that was messed up. Applecare covered it and everything is peachy now.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
Never spilled anything on it, I'm not doing anything funny around the light sensors. It seems to be OK now.

JosiahPB, can you describe the issues you were having? Was it a flicker or ust intermittently turning off?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.