Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joshuajestelle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Hi everyone,

It is well known that Apple's laptops sometimes have a problem with they keyboard rubbing against the LCD when closed and thus causing markings on the screen from dirty keyboards.

Read this thread to hear all about it:
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10040&keyboard+screen+rubbing

Knowing this when I got my new 17" PowerBook I also purchased a Keyboard Cover for it from MarWare. They keyboard cover is nice, just the right size to cover the keyboard, made out of nice material, feels like a very thin mousepad.

My problem is it seems a little thick, thick to the point it seemed like it was putting pressure against the screen when it was closed. But I kept using it figuring this pressure was ok.

Today I noticed slight rubbing markings on my screen when I opened it up. They were very faint and in the shape of the keyboard. It seems as though they keyboard cover was putting extra pressure on the screen, from the keys underneath it, and thus causing a slight rubbing mark.

It is entirely unnoticable when the screen is on, but I'm worried it might develop into something more noticable.

So now I'm not sure what to do... not use a keyboard cover, use this one and assume the rubbing marks will not cause any damage (maybe they can be easilly cleaned off), or get someting else to use to cover the keyboard (i.e. piece of paper, packaging material that came with powerbook, other commercial product)

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks so much,
Josh Estelle

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Some people suggest putting a piece of paper in there. I too wonder at what damage may occur to the LCD, as pressure of any kind isn't good for it... i wonder if it could degrade the image after time?

this is just one of the downfalls of having a computer that's so thin... no space for things like ...space...

pnw

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
ive had my tibook for about nineteen months and it looks fantastic :D i love this computer. just put a piece of 8.5x11 paper over the keys before you shut the lid. at least until you find out if apple fixed this problem with the 17incher.

Macpoops

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2002
PA
All it takes to get rid of those marks is a little alcohol on a papertowel and a bit of rubbing. They are not permanent and are just caused by the grease left behind on the keys when you type

joshuajestelle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Originally posted by Macpoops
All it takes to get rid of those marks is a little alcohol on a papertowel and a bit of rubbing. They are not permanent and are just caused by the grease left behind on the keys when you type

According to Apple's Support Knowledge Base you should not use cleaning solutions that contain alcohol. So you may want to reconsider using alcohol to clean your LCD.

Josh

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
i dont see why people would by a screen cover when the laptops already come with one. just use that piece of whatever they have in the laptop out of the box.

iJon

DreaminDirector

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2002
Ladera Ranch, CA
I lost that little thn foam piece. I just use a sheet of 8.5x11 paper. Works nice.

And yes, avoid the alcohol on the screen. Warm water on a really soft cloth does the trick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.