Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sarae

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
madison, WI
Hey, I've done a couple searches in these forums, but haven't been able to find the answer to my questions. Last night, while using my powerbook (which was plugged into the power cable) I realized that the battery monitor said I only had 26 minutes left. Thinking that was odd, I looked into the information, which claimed that it was running off the battery - even though the power cord was firmly inserted, and the indicator was glowing orange.

Based on my searches, I'm guessing that it's the power cable that is at fault, but there seems to be a couple of other options. I bought my powerbook (a 12") last October, so it's still under the 1-year warranty - is this something that would be covered, or will I just have to buy a new power cord after all?

One last thing to note - early yesterday, I had my first ever kernel panic. Could this have anything to do with the power issues, or was I just unlucky with both things happening in one day?

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
sarae said:
Hey, I've done a couple searches in these forums, but haven't been able to find the answer to my questions. Last night, while using my powerbook (which was plugged into the power cable) I realized that the battery monitor said I only had 26 minutes left. Thinking that was odd, I looked into the information, which claimed that it was running off the battery - even though the power cord was firmly inserted, and the indicator was glowing orange.

Based on my searches, I'm guessing that it's the power cable that is at fault, but there seems to be a couple of other options. I bought my powerbook (a 12") last October, so it's still under the 1-year warranty - is this something that would be covered, or will I just have to buy a new power cord after all?

One last thing to note - early yesterday, I had my first ever kernel panic. Could this have anything to do with the power issues, or was I just unlucky with both things happening in one day?

zap your pram yet? remove your battery and put it back in?
This might help as well. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/91481/

have you tried a different powercable to try and charge your mac? that would prove that is it the power cable?

sarae

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
madison, WI
superbovine said:
zap your pram yet? remove your battery and put it back in?
This might help as well. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/91481/

have you tried a different powercable to try and charge your mac? that would prove that is it the power cable?

I don't have access to another power cable, and as my battery is so low it won't boot up w/ the current charge, I can't try some of the other options. I have taken out the battery/put it back in to no avail. I guess I'll have to call Applecare and hope they'll talk to me.

My main question is if powercables and batteries are even covered under the warranty, i.e. will they replace it for me or make me shell out and buy it myself?

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
the computer itself is under warranty i don't believe the charger is, at least when i tried to get off with it, for a broken one it wouldn't work, nor would education discount, only cost me 79 i think, can't remember

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.