Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tliptak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2002
Should I get a 15in powerbook now or should I wait? With the problems that the 15in has been having I was wondering if I should wait till the problems get fixed for sure and mabye even wait till they put g5s in it. What do you think?

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
now is as good as any, since the last update was 2 months ago. the only reason you should re-consider is if you are worried about the white spots.

don't bother waiting for G5 PB. you *could* be waiting for more than a year. (for "regulars," i'm not saying anything about the feasibilities or possibilities nor am i starting a new rumor or that i know something others don't. i'm just saying G5 PB seems to be pretty far off and if you decide to wait for it, it could be a while... ;) )

kuyu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Louisville
if you absolutely need it now, go ahead. But, if this will be a secondary system for you, wait about 7 months until next June and you'll get a much better system for the money.

If you could save $100 a month until then, that's an extra $700 for your computer!!!

I am in the same boat as you. Good Luck

tliptak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2002
June that seems a long time to wait... Don't think I could wait that long :)

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
I say get it now. I've got the new 15" and it simply rocks. If you are perfectly fine with what you have now, then no reason not to wait. But if you buy a powerbook now, you will be happy with it.

KBFinFan

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2003
Connecticut, USA
I would also say to go for the Powerbook now.. if you can afford it and need it now is as good of a time as any.

I really doubt any updates until the Summer.. and I really don't think a G5 Powerbook is a sure bet.

Get it in time for the holidays.. so you can show it off to family and friends :D

Good Luck!

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
I was in the same boat. I just ordered my 12" PB last week though. I didn't want to wait till Macworld SF and be dissapointed, and then think of all the time I could have been enjoying my new PB. And I certainly couldn't wait till June. New computers will always come, just buy what you can when you can, and enjoy.

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
Here's what you should do: Go to the Apple Store Online, and design the 15" PowerBook you would want, to the exact specs, then just save the order, or leave it in your cart. Then check up on it periodically - once the shipping time has gone down from 10-15 business days to 1-3, then buy it. That way, most of the kinks will likely have been worked out. But as far as the G5 goes, don't hold your breath. It's gonna be awhile.

tliptak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2002
If it is going to be delayed till the end of december like some ppl are saying I might just as well wait till Macworld SF.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.