Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dawgfang

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
Atlanta
I recently dropped my beloved 12" powerbook and it's bottom casing is dented. The part where the power plug goes in is deformed. It's 99% cosmetic but I really want to fix it. Can I buy the parts? How much would Apple charge? Where would be a good place to look?

gman71882

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
Houston, Tx
The bottom case is actually really easy to replace. Use the ifixit link above to see how to do it.
You could probably get a powerbook for Parts off ebay for really cheap.
Or a new case part will be a little more expensive.

ansirone

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2007
City of Angeles
The bottom case is actually really easy to replace. Use the ifixit link above to see how to do it.

i have a dent on the bottom of my pb g4 1ghz machine. is it really easy to remove everything to replace?

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ

Huh? On the 12" model, you literally have to take apart the entire laptop to replace the bottom case because all the internal components (logic board, framework, etc.) are bolted into it. It's not exactly a walk in the park, even for techs.

I've done it before on my 12" 1.5GHz and I don't think I want to go there again...

monkey86

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2008
London

your kidding right - you have to remove every component from the pb and then transfer it - im waiting to do mine in my new house and im not looking forward to it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.