Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
An American Ebay seller realises a European bidder is trying to scam him out of a Powerbook (fake escrow site, hijacked ebay account), so he sends him something far better, a P-P-P-Powerbook! Now, for you non-techies here, a factory model p-p-p-powerbook weights half what it's competitors weigh, comes with an A4 screen, the latest in internet adventure software, zero boot time, a fullsize keyboard (often with Key RedundancyTM) and a state-of-the-art laser bluetooth mouse. This is technology. The seller posts to a forum and amongst the chatter people follow the package via the the Fedex tracking page and some even visit the delivery address (a barbershop/internet cafe) and take photos, video, and a seat for their hair cut. The duty tax on this particular p-p-p-powerbook is around £350 (paid for by the scammer) before he sees the package, and a few days later it's released by Customs as they watch in anticipation. A forum member arrives at the internet cafe, takes a seat and soon the package arrives. The scammer opens the box and there are angry raised voices heard. The barber doesn't understand what's wrong and asks... "Is it broken?"

Poetic justice at its best.

Congratulation MyNameIsJeff. You're my role model.

—> Link to whole article <—

you guys should definitly click on the link and go see the pdf of the whole email exchange thread. It's hilarious. More pics too.

Attachments

• pppowerbook.jpg
    pppowerbook.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 3,957
  • leftmenu.jpg
    leftmenu.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 1,821
  • touchpad.jpg
    touchpad.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 1,488

srobert

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
The 28 pages PDF is really worth reading. There are even pics of the delivery (covert) ^_^

I hope this crook is enjoying his 615$ binder. LOL And he has nowhere to turn to.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
He got his own website:

http://www.p-p-p-powerbook.com/

Full of pics (hilarious).

I love the keyboard layout. Anybody notice something funny on the second row of keys ^_^ ?

There is even 2 Ls to type LOL faster.

bella

macrumors member
May 5, 2004
Ontario, Canada
OMG - that's so awesome! I've been trying to find out though if we know what happened when this package was delivered... or is it still being delivered???

srobert

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
It's been delivered. I think there is a link to FedEx tracking page somewhere on the thread. The Crook indeed paid the very expensive duty.

MyNameIsJeff emailed the guy after that but he of course never replyed ^_^

Oh yeah, Flowbe, of course it's not a real powerbook. It's a P-P-P-Powerbok. It got the 1 brand new "Circle!" ports and 2 "Who Knows!" ports.

Attachments

• back1b.jpg
    back1b.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 520

bella

macrumors member
May 5, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Where did this come from then.....????

A forum member arrives at the internet cafe, takes a seat and soon the package arrives. The scammer opens the box and there are angry raised voices heard. The barber doesn't understand what's wrong and asks... "Is it broken?"

parrothead

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2003
Edmonds, WA
Sweet justice! That is one dang nice computer. It looks so light and easy to travel with! Plus its low energy consumption is very environmentally friendly!

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
srobert said:
It's been delivered. I think there is a link to FedEx tracking page somewhere on the thread. The Crook indeed paid the very expensive duty.

MyNameIsJeff emailed the guy after that but he of course never replyed ^_^

Oh yeah, Flowbe, of course it's not a real powerbook. It's a P-P-P-Powerbok. It got the 1 brand new "Circle!" ports and 2 "Who Knows!" ports.

Good job. :p

I hate to sound ignorant, which I am on things like this, but since I have never bought anything on ebay or whatever, how did the seller know that he was dealing with a fake customer/buyer from his email?

srobert

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
Flowbee said:
I was making a joke. Pehaps the big green smiley is too subtle.

So was I. Maybe I should have added a green smiley too ^_^

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.