Powerbook screen size: 12" vs. 15"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by socbyset, Sep 17, 2003.

1. socbyset macrumors member

Sep 13, 2003
    I will buy a powerbook soon but am torn between the 12 and 15. I like the portability of the 12 (and its price) but am worried that screen size / resolution will be an issue. I'll be mostly doing browser/email/word processing tasks on it but will ocassionally use photoshop, flash, and maybe final cut express. Anyone have insight into whether these apps will be a pain to use at 1024 x 768?

2. applenut macrumors newbie

Apr 24, 2003
    I have a 12" ibook and I'm fine with the screen. I use photoshop rarely but it works fine on my ibooks screen and I too am looking at getting a 12albook. I'm in no rush though and will get most likely the next update of powerbooks. I think you will be fine with the 12" screen but you have to ask yourself... are you a technojunkie like me? Will you be kicking your self about not getting the 15" screen for years to come? Just think about it.
  3. Col127 macrumors 6502

Sep 13, 2003
    in my opinion, it depends on the use.

i work in 1280 x 1024 on my mac for design projects and 1024 x 800 on my PC for any other kind of use. while i much enjoy the extra space on my mac for other purposes (browing the web, etc.), it doesn't bother me to have that size on my PC.

the only thing i can't stand to do on my PC is to design, because it's not enough space on the screen for me :p that being said, i went ahead and bought a 12" anyways because i can hook it up to an external monitor and get 1600x1200 resolution on it! :) so when i seriously need to start doing design work, i can just hook it up and no sweat.

the portability of the 12" is what sold me on it, that and the price :)
  4. mmmbop macrumors regular

Aug 5, 2003
    What's DVD playback like on the 12"? And the sound?
  5. Col127 macrumors 6502

Sep 13, 2003
    i can't say, i haven't actually received it yet :(
    it's supposed to ship by the 25th.. so i'm hoping i get it before october.

i believe that there's stereo speakers on the 12", making the sound quality pretty good for a notebook in some people's opinions.
  6. dscott macrumors newbie

Sep 19, 2003
    12 v. 15 PB

Totally understand your dilemma. Suffered from it myself. Looked at the 15" Ti and thought it was too old, no AE, last year's technology, etc. So I bought a 12" PB, BTO w/640K, 60gHD, AE card, took delivery a week or so ago (pre-upgrade...), got it, had a bit of buyer's remorse about the screen--thought it was just a bit too small. Thought about the separate monitor route but decided that defeated the purpose of the portability--can move it anywhere around the house with AE card, etc. Pretty much had made my peace with the 12" and decided I really liked it.

BUT THEN the 15" Al came out, and I agonized over whether to swap the 12" for the 15". In the end, decided to do it. Am sending back the 12", paying the 10% restocking fee, and my 15" is supposed to ship 9/23. It's my only computer and the 12" was just too small.

For what that's worth.