Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdrr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2003
NH
Mantat said:
I lost my master thesys two times because of HD faillure (I had backups of the day before but it crashed at the end of the day, right before backuping).

Don't take this the wrong way, but I cannot resist... :D

<joshing>Looks like you were using a M$ spell checker when you wrote your "thesys" instead of your Thesis.</joshing>

If you do get an Apple Powerbook/iBook, pony up the extra $$$. I had two incidents with my powerbook and I cannot brag enough on how fast, efficient, and amazing the service was.

lefty111

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2004
Philadelphia
desktop?

Hey, if I were going to college again I would get a G5 desktop, especially if I could drop 2-3 grand. I had a laptop, but was so paranoid about theft that I rarely took it to the library. (I can't help it if I had a tendency to fall asleep in the library). So it was a portable that acted like a desktop. With a G5 tower, you can play the best games, hook up a good sound system to the digital audio out, upgrade the video card later, etc.

Regardless, I have a friend who has had nothing but problems with his Dell laptop. As for resale value, even Apple recently had a trade in program for the original TiBooks, offering a $700 credit. They were probably worth a little more on eBay.

Just my 2 cents.

lefty

sgtlmj

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2003
I just switched to a 12"PB and will never look back.

For me it was the dependability and security that Mac/OSX offers. After having the PB for a couple of months I'm realizing that the dependability is nice, but all of the little things that Apple put into these things add up to a really nice machine.

A few of the little things which stand out are:

Keyboard - The best keyboard I've ever typed on period. Large key area, and a great feel. All in a little laptop.

Appearance - Very nice. It doesn't hold figerprints, seems to resist scratches fairly well. Nice lines throughout.

The small stuff - I like the "standby" light which slowly pulsates instead of blinking. The fact that it doesn't have a bunch of extra lights all over it. On a PC laptop you can have a half dozen or so, all with odd symbols. The only light I see on my Mac is on the power adaptor. Green for charged, yellow for charging. The rest of the info is displayed on the screen. Do I really care if my computer is accessing the HD or floppy at this particular moment? NO!

Instant sleep/wake - When I close the cover it goes to sleep. When I open it, it wakes up... almost instantly. I haven't turned this thing off in a month. My PC laptops would all lock up about every third time that I closed the lid, and then just sit there and drain the battery.

The OS - Huge selling point! Very sleek and intuitive. If you want to uninstall something, just drag it to the trash. No worrying about remnants left over in the registry somewhere slowing things down.

Resale value - I don't care, because I'll never sell it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.