Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevinuaa

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2004
Hawaii
i'll be leaving the country for 18.5 days. what should i do with my powerbook? leave it plugged in an off? schedule a shutdown and restart everyday? thakns for suggestions.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
kevinuaa said:
i'll be leaving the country for 18.5 days. what should i do with my powerbook? leave it plugged in an off? schedule a shutdown and restart everyday? thakns for suggestions.

What exactly are you concerned about? Any specific fears about leaving it *not* plugged in and off? The battery shouldn't drain much while it's completely off (just random discharge due to conduction through air or leak current), and it'll be protected from power surges cuz it won't be connected to the wall.

Why would you power cycle it daily? Does it do anything while you're gone -- run a server app or something?

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
kevinuaa said:

Turn it off.

The battery isn't going to hurt if it isn't used for 18 days. If you went away for a year I would let someone thrustworty use it atleast once every 14 days.

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2004
. . . 18.5 days without a computer . . . it has been a while since I've done that.

Enjoy, you're a model of hope for all us computer geeks that don't get away from our machines often enough . . . . ;)

kevinuaa

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2004
Hawaii
well, even though i'm going somewhere remote i'm sure i'll have to suck on the teet of Internet goodness by other means..internet cafes, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.