Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HardHatMac9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2004
My relatively new (4 month old) Powerbook G4 is exhibiting a bit of a wobble when put down on a level table. That is, pressing on the lower right hand corner of the Powerbook, when it is open, will slightly raise the upper left hand corner of the Powerbook.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a quick fix or should this be expected? It isn't too big of an inconvenience, although it can be a bit annoying.

Thank you all in advance!

mslifkin

macrumors regular
May 14, 2004
New Jersey
otoloui said:
My relatively new (4 month old) Powerbook G4 is exhibiting a bit of a wobble when put down on a level table. That is, pressing on the lower right hand corner of the Powerbook, when it is open, will slightly raise the upper left hand corner of the Powerbook.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a quick fix or should this be expected? It isn't too big of an inconvenience, although it can be a bit annoying.

I had the exact same problem with my 12" PowerBook, and it drove me nuts. I checked a couple of posts (as you're doing right now) and decided to bring it back to Apple, as it was still under warrantee. They fixed it, and I got it back within a couple of days. I just sold it not too long ago, but the wobble never came back. I did read some posts about people trying to straighten it themselves, but I wasn't about to try that. Apple took care of it promptly. Good luck.

Regards,
Marc

advres

Oct 3, 2003
Boston
otoloui said:

I'd hate to ask a stupid question but did you check to see if one of the little rubber feet on the bottom was missing?

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
i thought i read somewhere that the heat build up makes the powerbook bend a little (wobble) :eek: ...liketom checks his Powerbook for the wobble effect :cool: all is cool here.

HardHatMac9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2004
advres said:
I'd hate to ask a stupid question but did you check to see if one of the little rubber feet on the bottom was missing?

All little feet accounted for.

Any other experiences?

I would hate to have to give up my beloved PowerBook for repair--even for a couple days...

For those that did get it repaired: Did the problem resurface after some time?

advres

Oct 3, 2003
Boston
mslifkin said:
I did read some posts about people trying to straighten it themselves, but I wasn't about to try that.

I think you should go this route. I have heard all you need to do is close the lid, flip it on the lid so the little feet are facing up and hit it repeatedly with a 8 LB sledgehammer. Seriously, I heard this works more times than not, but you have to make sure you give it real good swift swings, not those wimpy swings! :rolleyes:

In all seriousness though. IF the problem is really that annoying, I would just bring it back to Apple. I had to have my superdrive replaced and my screen replaced all at the same time in my PB. I dropped it off on a Sunday night to the Apple store and I had it back by Friday which wasn't too bad. The reason it actually took so long was that they were trying to reproduce all my kernal panics but could not. They determined it was the Superdrive causing the panics and wasted two days testing the thing. Luckily I had my work machine and my PB cloned onto a FW drive so I still had everything I needed and wasn't REALLY w/o it. :D

nels0360

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2004
Colorado
My PowerBook had this problem when I first got it and it still does. I might take it in and have Apple fix it or I might not. It isn't that big of a deal for me because the wobble is not that bad and it seems to come and go.

Lincoln

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2003
UK
Get it fixed

You should get it fixed now, its not that common and it will drive you nuts over time. My new 15 incher doesn't have the "Powerbook Wobble" so you shouldn't have it either (all feet pesent and accounted for too).

Funny thing is when i had a 12" Rev-A it would wobble on some flat surfaces and not others - go figure!

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Is that like the superbowl suffle?

Yeah... It happened to mine. had it about 6 weeks and then it began to wobble.

There is no easy fix. Gotta send it to Apple. They'll take care of ya.

I had mine back in 2 days. Fast service.

PS. There are many threads about this. Although the search tool does less than a decent job of finding them sometimes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.