Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brewstafari

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2003
I too am a college student deciding what to do with my Powerbook dilemma. For the work I'll be doing (some IT some graphic design) the 17 is too big, and the 12 is too small. For the most part, the 15 is just right. I'd love some additions: DDR ram, backlit keyboard, airport extreme, bluetooth, but they're not absolutely necessary for me. What nobody else has mentioned are the problems with the TiBook. Being that it's still made of Titanium, it scratches REALLY easily. My dad has one that looks like it's been through hell, and it's just a few months old. Secondly, the airport reception - which I could deal with. And lastly, the worst part, is that horrible problem with the keyboard leaving an imprint in the screen. There is no way I'm going to pay 3 grand for a laptop whose screen I won't be able to read after a few months. If the TiBook didn't have these problems, i'd be willing to sacrifice. For now, it looks like I'll be going a month or so of school without a laptop and sucking it up.

nextdayflight5

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2003
cali
i just dunno

okay guys, do you remember that old G5?? yeah its not available to the "consumer" yet. well think back hard... yeah

the G5 came outta nowhere!!!!!!!!! no one knew about it and then...just when you go on apple.com to order your G4 theres a huge ad for a shiny new G5!!!!

its gonna be the same way with the new powerbooks!

and by the way theres noway they are gonna be G5s cus those new G5 desktops are huge!!! there like 4-5inches taller that the G4, they cant fit that in a notebook, they can barely make it a desktop

thank you

NNO-Stephen

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2003
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Re: i just dunno

Originally posted by nextdayflight5
okay guys, do you remember that old G5?? yeah its not available to the "consumer" yet. well think back hard... yeah

the G5 came outta nowhere!!!!!!!!! no one knew about it and then...just when you go on apple.com to order your G4 theres a huge ad for a shiny new G5!!!!

its gonna be the same way with the new powerbooks!

and by the way theres noway they are gonna be G5s cus those new G5 desktops are huge!!! there like 4-5inches taller that the G4, they cant fit that in a notebook, they can barely make it a desktop

thank you

what are you talking about nobody knew about the G5? are you serious? EVERYONE AND THEIR GRANDMA knew about it... at least everyone that reads this site on a semi-regular basis. but yeah, a G5 wont go into PowerBooks till next year when they get it down to 90um process from the current 130. then we'll see, but for now, nah. MPC 7457 just fits perfect. low heat, low power, high performance. perfect for a PowerBook!

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2002
Washington State University
Originally posted by job
Of course, like other users have already noted, the now legendary phrase may have something do to with the fact that laptop sales are now reaching parity with desktops.

I watched the keynote. On sattelite. That is EXACTLY what he meant.

Originally posted by zap23
Seriously, though, I think we will see a G5 in the new Powerbooks.

Apple themselves said that's not going to happen for awhile :)

trek7k

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2003
Colorado Springs, CO
15" PB Tidbit

I'm in the market for a 15" powerbook and I've been looking at buying one from Amazon for a while now. Anyway, Amazon is no longer selling the 15" powerbooks (as of today). They still sell the 12" and 17" models but the 15" is only being offered by J&R Computers with no rebate (amazon had been offering a $100 rebate). Anyway, I reckon this means the new 15s are coming soon...

jbomber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
Brooklyn - NYC
Originally posted by freundt
But those nine fans are not running at top speed.. To make an analogy - they are slowly rotating like a ceiling fan, not blowing like an A/C unit.

And we are talking about lower speed processors than the desktop models here too. While I do not think it is likely, I do think that it is not impossable, improbable yes - impossbile, no.

_f

[edit] the above post is a perfect example of creative spelling at it's finest. I Have left it in it's prisitne state for all to glorify in[/edit]

It's kinda funny how everyone is in denial about the fans. :)

yes they're running slower than full speed, but people, there are 9 OF THEM!

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2002
Originally posted by jbomber
It's kinda funny how everyone is in denial about the fans. :)

yes they're running slower than full speed, but people, there are 9 OF THEM!

Yeah, and that's the same as maybe 3 or 4 fans full-speed--which is about standard. It's a noise and efficiency issue here, not one of necessity.

NNO-Stephen

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2003
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
Yeah, and that's the same as maybe 3 or 4 fans full-speed--which is about standard. It's a noise and efficiency issue here, not one of necessity.

also the fact that a lot of those go for the GPU and PCI-X slots.

DrGonzo

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2003
9 fans you say. With all the fan action and time they've had to develop the G5 i wonder if they seriously considered water cooling with maybe a 120mm fan or two running at very low speeds to blow over the pci/agp slots.. Obviously it would have to be a fail safe system, but i think apple has the capability to make a truely mainstream/failsafe (or as failsafe as the heatsink/fans on it now). ALlthough a water cooled system might make the computer a little more intrusive as there would be basic maitenence issues... oh well just a ramble

DrGonzo

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2003
Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
Unnecessary, expensive overkill. They only need maybe 3 fans, 9 fans is for noise and efficiency reasons.

I know man, i'm joking, hence just being a ramble. Then again, it is apple and they are known for being "expensive" ;)

jbomber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
Brooklyn - NYC
anyone think that apple would be so bold/stupid to let macworld paris come and go without updating the 15".

OS9 bootability or not, the revision needs to happen. it's getting embarassing...

camion

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2003
SC
I am in line to get an Apple demo computer this summer or fall. When I got the last demo price list from Apple, updated 07/19, the 12" and 15" powerbooks had been removed so that in the powerbook line only the 17" was available for purchase as a demo. I am hopeful that this means a change is coming. Please, please, please let me be right.

nextdayflight5

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2003
cali
yeah, wouldnt that be crazy if mac, stopped selling the tibook off the site, then we would know for a fact that somethings gonna blow up

well thats just what i typed so to all you nerds: dont analize the crud outta what i put, i love you all
:p

sacrilicious

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2003
Portland, OR
I think the real question is when are they going to update the 15?

And why do you all think it's going to be 15.4? I keep hearing it over and over. It'd be cool to jump .2 inches, I guess, but it seems firm. Was there some confirmed report of larger screens being ordered or something?

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2002
Originally posted by sacrilicious
I think the real question is when are they going to update the 15?

And why do you all think it's going to be 15.4? I keep hearing it over and over. It'd be cool to jump .2 inches, I guess, but it seems firm. Was there some confirmed report of larger screens being ordered or something?

Something like that. Someone designed a 15.4 inch widescreen, so a lot of people assumed it would be in the next PowerBook due to production reports. Or something.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Originally posted by sacrilicious
15.4" is being used on the new Dell D800, I think.

Yeah, there are more widescreen laptops on the market, now. Apple is losing its edge.

And they deserve to... 9+ months between releases?

sacrilicious

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2003
Portland, OR
Well, widescreen is what first brought Apple into consideration for me. And I'd quickly go Dell widescreen for much cheaper, had I not learned the glory of OSX and the crappiness of Dell computers.

jaedreth

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2003
In Iraq now
Powerbook Delays

This is essentially the same type of discussion as in PowerBook Delays, but I'm not going to duplicate a post, but I am going to sumarize. You can read my post in the other thread if you want more detail.

Blame Scumorola, not Apple. If they had delivered their chips by the very first promised delivery date, we'd have 15" powerbooks in our hands right now.

Jaedreth

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.