Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcru

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2004
I have a Powerbook 15" 1.25 that I bought about a year ago. I've been wanting to get a Powermac recently and found a pretty good deal with educational discount. Basically $1999 which should be a pretty good deal. Since normal Edu price is $2299 for the 2.0ghz.

I don't have all the details on the unit...but I believe it will be a RevA 2.0ghz.

I know that the RevB are supposed to use the 970fx....but what are the other differences???

- 2x vs. 8x superdrive?
- graphics card? same I think

You think $1999 for RevA is a good deal?

thanks!

2A Batterie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
Out of a Suitcase, USA
It may be a good deal, but be wary of a few things
the power supply units in rev A's were often faulty... ie too noisy, not working properly, power supply fan not operating, clicks and beeps coming from the power supply source. Here's an older article since you may be buying an older computer
http://arstechnica.com/wankerdesk/04q1/g5-noise.html

Before you buy, do some research and ask a few questions on this site:
http://g5support.com/group/

I purchased a refurbished dual 2.0 G5 a month and a half ago. I have several problems with the power supply unit and had to have it replaced once and it looks like it may need it again. It still is a great computer, but these little things can be annoying.

jcru

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2004
2A Batterie said:
It may be a good deal, but be wary of a few things
the power supply units in rev A's were often faulty... ie too noisy, not working properly, power supply fan not operating, clicks and beeps coming from the power supply source. Here's an older article since you may be buying an older computer
http://arstechnica.com/wankerdesk/04q1/g5-noise.html

Before you buy, do some research and ask a few questions on this site:
http://g5support.com/group/

I purchased a refurbished dual 2.0 G5 a month and a half ago. I have several problems with the power supply unit and had to have it replaced once and it looks like it may need it again. It still is a great computer, but these little things can be annoying.

Thanks for the info...I'll research a little more. Might be less of a hassle just to buy straight from Apple to get RevB and be able to upgrade RAM, etc.

2A Batterie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
Out of a Suitcase, USA
jcru said:
Thanks for the info...I'll research a little more. Might be less of a hassle just to buy straight from Apple to get RevB and be able to upgrade RAM, etc.
Just don't buy RAM from Apple... it is way overpriced. I suggest crucial.com or dealram. Overall it is the best performance at a more reasonable price. If you're not sure how to install the RAM, it is simple to do. Conduct a quick search or merely ask on this thread.

alexf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2004
Planet Earth
jcru said:
- graphics card? same I think

You think $1999 for RevA is a good deal?

The graphics card is better on the Rev. A models.

Yes, I think $1999 is a good deal, esp. condidering that just 3 months ago you would have paid $2999.

jcru

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2004
Update: Bought this sucka (Dual 2.0 revB)

Well...I went ahead and got the Dual 2.0 (RevB) for $1999 thru a special educational price. Funny thing is...I bought it 6 days ago, but was busy all week with work, school, etc. So it sat in the box for almost a week. It was killing me and I couldn't wait to set it up!!! Just pulled it out today and got it going. IT'S A BEAUTY. The design and care Apple takes still amazes me down to the packaging/box/cables/etc. Even after owning a Powerbook for over a year. I haven't been able to do much as far as testing the speed against my 15" PB 1.25, but I already know this will kill it with most apps.

So my only problem now is do I keep my PB? I love the PB and I'd hate to let it go. Having a laptop is always handy, plus it's such a beautiful machine. I think I might try to sell the 15" PB and replace it with a 12" PB (maybe used for $1000-$1200).

Funniest thing about it....I got my 15" PB + 20" Cinema FREE from my previous employer. I know...don't gang up on me and tell me how lame I am. I shouldn't worry about having both machines. Basically I can look at it like this...I just shelled out a measly $2k for the PM G5 + PB 15" + 20" Display. Quite the bargain looking at it this way!!

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I officially hate you now. ;)

But congrats, and enjoy it.

(btw, can't believe u let it sit in a box for a week!! I'd have it up and running the day it came, no matter what else had to be put off!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.