PowerMac 2ghz DP for $1999 ?????

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jcru, Aug 26, 2004.

1. jcru macrumors newbie

I have a Powerbook 15" 1.25 that I bought about a year ago. I've been wanting to get a Powermac recently and found a pretty good deal with educational discount. Basically $1999 which should be a pretty good deal. Since normal Edu price is $2299 for the 2.0ghz.

I don't have all the details on the unit...but I believe it will be a RevA 2.0ghz.

I know that the RevB are supposed to use the 970fx....but what are the other differences???

- 2x vs. 8x superdrive?
    - graphics card? same I think

You think $1999 for RevA is a good deal?

thanks!

2. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Hell yeah. Go for it, and welcome to the clup. Club G5.

3. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

some of the new 2.0's don't even have an fx yet and you will probably have a 4X not a 2X so do it because that is a good deal.

4. kirk26 macrumors 6502a

kirk26

Watch out with those question marks. You'll put an eye out.

5. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

It may be a good deal, but be wary of a few things
    the power supply units in rev A's were often faulty... ie too noisy, not working properly, power supply fan not operating, clicks and beeps coming from the power supply source. Here's an older article since you may be buying an older computer
    http://arstechnica.com/wankerdesk/04q1/g5-noise.html

Before you buy, do some research and ask a few questions on this site:
    http://g5support.com/group/

I purchased a refurbished dual 2.0 G5 a month and a half ago. I have several problems with the power supply unit and had to have it replaced once and it looks like it may need it again. It still is a great computer, but these little things can be annoying.

6. jcru thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info...I'll research a little more. Might be less of a hassle just to buy straight from Apple to get RevB and be able to upgrade RAM, etc.

7. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

Just don't buy RAM from Apple... it is way overpriced. I suggest crucial.com or dealram. Overall it is the best performance at a more reasonable price. If you're not sure how to install the RAM, it is simple to do. Conduct a quick search or merely ask on this thread.

8. alexf macrumors 6502a

alexf

The graphics card is better on the Rev. A models.

Yes, I think $1999 is a good deal, esp. condidering that just 3 months ago you would have paid $2999.

9. jcru thread starter macrumors newbie

Update: Bought this sucka (Dual 2.0 revB)

Well...I went ahead and got the Dual 2.0 (RevB) for $1999 thru a special educational price. Funny thing is...I bought it 6 days ago, but was busy all week with work, school, etc. So it sat in the box for almost a week. It was killing me and I couldn't wait to set it up!!! Just pulled it out today and got it going. IT'S A BEAUTY. The design and care Apple takes still amazes me down to the packaging/box/cables/etc. Even after owning a Powerbook for over a year. I haven't been able to do much as far as testing the speed against my 15" PB 1.25, but I already know this will kill it with most apps.

So my only problem now is do I keep my PB? I love the PB and I'd hate to let it go. Having a laptop is always handy, plus it's such a beautiful machine. I think I might try to sell the 15" PB and replace it with a 12" PB (maybe used for $1000-$1200).

Funniest thing about it....I got my 15" PB + 20" Cinema FREE from my previous employer. I know...don't gang up on me and tell me how lame I am. I shouldn't worry about having both machines. Basically I can look at it like this...I just shelled out a measly $2k for the PM G5 + PB 15" + 20" Display. Quite the bargain looking at it this way!!

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I officially hate you now. ;)

But congrats, and enjoy it.

(btw, can't believe u let it sit in a box for a week!! I'd have it up and running the day it came, no matter what else had to be put off!)

11. kirk26 macrumors 6502a

kirk26

5 question marks? How many G5's are you buying? :confused:

12. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

YOU'LL PUT YOUR EYE OUT! YOU'LL PUT YOUR EYE OUT!