Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
The Power mac displays this
ProhibitionSign2.svg
symbol while booting OS X. Is it a kernel panic? How do I get it to boot normally? I removed my 7800GTX and put in my 6600GT because I thought it was the problem, didn't work. Safe booted OS X, didn't work. Zapped PRAM, didn't work.

I cant figure it out. Linux also fail to load GUI.

Late 2005, Quad core, 6600GT, 8GB RAM

bax2003

Cancelled
Dec 25, 2011
Its not kernel panic.

You have problem with your boot drive. Probably failed HDD :(

Last edited:

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
Its not kernel panic.

You have problem with your boot drive. Probably failed HDD :(

It is a kernel panic, for sure. Boot in verbose by holding cmd-v, so that you would know which one is causing it.

If it is a boot drive issue, afaik it would be a folder icon with question mark.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Probably corrupted system files. Try fsck in single user mode. It could be start of drive agony.
Check if it does boot from install disc. If it doesn't you have hardware problem. If you have a hardware problem, start from LCS.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I don't think kernel panics do that. The prohibitor sign occurs before the kernel is fully load or loaded at all. A kernel panic upon boot show the panic text over the Apple logo and a froze gear.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
It is a kernel panic, for sure. Boot in verbose by holding cmd-v, so that you would know which one is causing it.

If it is a boot drive issue, afaik it would be a folder icon with question mark.

I tried five times with two keyboards holding the cmd v keys and windoze v keys down, and neither way got into verbose.

TorCoolguy

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013
First, are these bluetooth keyboards? Because thats an easy mistake to make.
Second, try an authentic Apple keyboard if you haven't already, it sounds like your using generic ones.
Third, try different USB ports, maybe one is fried or sketchy and you don't know, find out by doing key combinations you already know work. Holding down option to get to the bootscreen is a good example

Last, this may just me grasping at straws but, how long does the Apple scren last before turning into the prohibitation symbol? Does it hang there for a while, or does it immediatly turn? If it immediatly shows the prohibitation symbol, it might be too corrupted to even register your verbose command.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
First, are these bluetooth keyboards? Because thats an easy mistake to make.
Second, try an authentic Apple keyboard if you haven't already, it sounds like your using generic ones.
Third, try different USB ports, maybe one is fried or sketchy and you don't know, find out by doing key combinations you already know work. Holding down option to get to the bootscreen is a good example

Last, this may just me grasping at straws but, how long does the Apple scren last before turning into the prohibitation symbol? Does it hang there for a while, or does it immediatly turn? If it immediatly shows the prohibitation symbol, it might be too corrupted to even register your verbose command.

The keyboards are both wired USB keyboards.
I used an Apple keyboard and a Gigabyte keyboard.
I have only tried one USB.
The apple lasts for about 1/8 of a second.

TorCoolguy

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013
The 1/8th of a second explains it... I would say boot up off a leopard or tiger or whatever CD and use disk utility to verify your disk, and look at your SMART status, and see if the physical disk is to blame. Then salvage what you can from the drive by putting your computer in firewire target disk mode, or taking the hard drive out and putting it in an enclosure and reinstall Mac OS X.
Since the prohibitation sign usually means system data corruption, unless anyone else has a better idea, which they might, I think this is the route to go.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
The 1/8th of a second explains it... I would say boot up off a leopard or tiger or whatever CD and use disk utility to verify your disk, and look at your SMART status, and see if the physical disk is to blame. Then salvage what you can from the drive by putting your computer in firewire target disk mode, or taking the hard drive out and putting it in an enclosure and reinstall Mac OS X.
Since the prohibitation sign usually means system data corruption, unless anyone else has a better idea, which they might, I think this is the route to go.

I added a partition to the HDD with my MBP, and attempted to boot the PM off the 10.5 USB. I entered openfirmware and used this guide: http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20060301112336384
It said that the LOAD-SIZE was too small.

TorCoolguy

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013
I don't understand what your trying to do....
Could you explain why you want to boot off a different partition of your HDD?

bax2003

Cancelled
Dec 25, 2011
Let me ask you this:

1. Do you need to keep Installed OS X on primary boot partition ?
2. If you need just some components from previous install (Preferences, App Support etc), you can just back up them end safely erase boot partition and install OS X without problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.