PowerMac G3 Broken

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by TESEV, Sep 23, 2007.

1. macrumors member

TESEV

I have a blue & white PowerMac G3 (350Mhz) that has suddenly decided that it doesn't want to start up. I push the power button on the keyboard or the case itself and it does not make a sound, as if it weren't plugged in (and yes, i checked all connections). This leads me to believe that the power supply may be to fault, but I don't know how to check. Suggestions?

2. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd try reseting it using the onboard button the logic board. It's a toggle right next to the PRAM battery. After that try booting it without the PRAM battery itself.

Does the power button light up?

3. macrumors member

TESEV

Done. No effect.

Nope, and it doesn't make the startup chime and I don't hear anything. As if it were unplugged.

4. macrumors 6502

AlexMaximus

A view things you want to check..

Hi,

first thing, check your power outlet. Check if someting else runs on it like your vaccum cleaner, maybe your powerbraker/Fuse is out.
    Second, who was on your mac last time. Maybe someone runs a joke on you.
    Check the power supply. Maybe there is a small fuse inside thats gone. (Did you have a lightning strike lately?)

Can you detect a burning smell close to the power supply once you open the mac?

5. macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Does the sleep light stay a solid green or orange?

Some older PowerBooks would get GLOD (Green Light Of Death, a pun off Blue Screen Of Death) which often meant that was the end of that PowerBook.

6. macrumors member

TESEV

The monitor works fine. I've switched the plugs around and they all appear to work.

Um, does the power supply on the G3 have a fuse?

No, not really.

Tis a PowerMAC... and no lights turn on.

7. macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Oh oops I misread that...