Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
Why is the heatsink, on my PowerMac G4 Dual buzzing at such a high frequency?

I have cleaned out the fan, that's not sounding too bad.

Why does a heatsink make such a noise?

Is there a remedy? Or is it normal?

Rich.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
SmurfBoxMasta said:
probaby the cpu and/or heat sink and/or it's clamp are not seated properly into their respective slots.......

Wow, sounds quite serious.

How would i go about fixing that up?

When it's on, the fan runs much quieter than the heatsink, which has a high frequency buzzing sound, that is quite unpleasant.

I'm really hoping to use this as a server machine, full of HD's so i can store whatever.

Rich.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
SmurfBoxMasta said:
remove carefully & re-install correctly, making sure to properly orient everything the way it is supposed to be.........DO NOT force anything, it should all just gently push/fall/click into place....... :)

Ok, thanks for the advice.

You know for sure that this will remedy it? I'm confident i can take it off and put it back on, but of course i'd like to know this will help it.

Any reason this would have happened in the first place?

Any pictoral guides out there that you know of since you know what the problem is?

Much appreciated!!!

Rich.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
PowerMac G4 Dual 450 - Gigabit Ethernet version.

Thought i'd add.

Rich.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
On much closer inspection, it seems to be the fan adjacent to the heatsink.

Is there a good replacement fan for the PowerMac in question? Or a mod, like cutting away the finger guard on the fan? It seems to be a high frequency pinging sound, similar to when you flick the aluminum heatsink, or the guard around the fan with your finger.

Rich.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.