powermac g4 quicksilver

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by iSaygoodbye, Mar 24, 2009.

1. macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

would a powermac g4 quicksilver with a 1ghz g4 processor and 765 mb of ram run leopard reasonably fast?

2. macrumors 6502

Nope. I had a G4 Digital Audio (same as Quicksilver) with a 1.33GHz/2MB L3 upgrade, 1.5GB RAM, Radeon 9800, SATA card, etc and installing Leopard on it was what made me realize it was finally time for a new machine. I would not go beyond Tiger even on the fastest G4. It's just painfully slow.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

alright thanks. does it run tiger pretty decent?

4. macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

These machines run tiger fine, just don't try running PS on it. Don't spend over $200 with a computer of those specs.

For word processing, email, internet, itunes, and IM that computer is fine.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

im getting it for 45$

6. macrumors 6502

Yup, Tiger runs very well.

7. macrumors regular

Weird, newer releases are suppose to run better on older macs. Well at least, that's the case with Windows!

8. macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Well then at the very least, mAxDaRam 4 sure.....regardless of what OS you put on it.

If this will be your only machine, and you will be keeping it for a good while, and you can't get a new(er) one, then you may wanna consider spending some more $$ to beef it up some......but beware, it will NEVER be a speed demon no matter what you do to it, but at least it will be useable for most average everyday tasks.....

1) add an SATA controller card & HDD.......big speeeed boost for ~$150

2) Get a Radeon 9800.... ~$75-100 for a flashed peecee version...will speed up the GUI, window server, and screen rendering, etc

3) cpu ugrade: Big bucks! ($3-600), but can take you as far as DUAL 1.8GHZ.......

otherwise save your $$ and buy a newer model that is faster all around and more up to date from the beginning :p

ps: I have Leopard running just fine on my QS 1.6ghz/1.5GB/Radeon9800/Raptors.......but the hardest thing I do with it is run CS3 PS and a few other apps.......

9. macrumors regular

I have a 1.25ghz, 1.5gb of ram, MDD running leopard perfect. if you have the disk already give it a try don't go out and buy it though.

I ran photoshop 7 on an old 466Mhz g4 with 768mb ram and i had no problems.

10. macrumors 6502a

Macman756

I'll pay that! But I had a 1.33Ghz Powerbook with 1GB RAM, Leopard ran great. What video card is in there? If its 64mb, your fine.

11. thread starter macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

the ad on cragslist didnt specify ill ask the person