1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

powermac G4 sawtooth cpu upgrade.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by kenmasters, Dec 11, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

i have my eye on these two..

OWC mercury extreme 1.5ghz 256k L2 cache + 2MB L3 cache

or

Sonnet Encore ST G4 1.8GHz 512 L2 cache + no L3 cache

which is better and why??

i will be playing games and using ilife 05 and the OS choice will be tiger.

my current specs are

500mhz
    256mb ram
    ati-rage pro 16mb
    20gig hdd
    dvd-rom

i hope i have provided enough info about my mac to see which is better and why.

2. macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

first you should upgrade to 2gb of ram and a better video card. you won't believe the improvement those 2 make.

3. macrumors newbie

dunno why but i left out the fact i also have a 9700pro pc card lying around that i am going to flash for the mac.

i will also be buying two 512mb sticks i would go for two gigs but i might just stay with 1gb or go to 1.5gb of ram.

4. macrumors 6502

Go for the Newer Technology MaxPower processor upgrades, they have a 1MB level 2 cache and a good reputation for reliability. They also run cooler than the Mercury Extreme and use less power.

5. macrumors newbie

after careful consideration i decided i would go with a 1.6ghz newertech cpu upgrade..

i plan on putting that radeon 9700pro in so i am pretty sure i need all the power i can get my the measly 208watt psu in the powermac G4..

if it was a 300watt or higher i would get the OWC 1.4ghz or the 1.5ghz but i think the 7447a based cpu is better for me.

i could save up for a 1.8ghz sonnetech but a 200mhz different is not worth the extra $50 to me.if it had 1mb cache i would do it.

thanks.

6. macrumors 6502

It's only the NewerTech 1.7 GHz and higher that have a 1MB L2 Cache, they use the 7448 processor, which uses less power. A bit more expensive, though unfortunately.

7. macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

just take that $50 and buy 2gb or ram