Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ndanimal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2004
Sorry, I already posted this on General Discussion but I think I might have more luck here.

Is there a simple solution to displaying Powermac G4 output on a television? It seems like the apple store has cables for everything else--iBook, Powerbook, iMac, even Powermac (G5 only). Is there some simple solution for the Powermac G4 that I'm missing? I've recently gotten into emulating old consoles on my mac, and I'd like to be able to play the games on my Sony Wega.

Thanks for any advice. I've browsed these forums for a while but this is my first post.

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
ndanimal said:
Sorry, I already posted this on General Discussion but I think I might have more luck here.

Is there a simple solution to displaying Powermac G4 output on a television? It seems like the apple store has cables for everything else--iBook, Powerbook, iMac, even Powermac (G5 only). Is there some simple solution for the Powermac G4 that I'm missing? I've recently gotten into emulating old consoles on my mac, and I'd like to be able to play the games on my Sony Wega.

Thanks for any advice. I've browsed these forums for a while but this is my first post.

With my PowerBook, there is an S-Video out. It also has an S-Video to Composite adapter incase someone didn't have an S-Video cable or port on their TV. I combine this with an 1/8" to stereo adapter to watch movies on the big-screen all the time! :D

Any such outputs are managed by the video card. Check your video card for a composite, S-Video, component, or some other output which you have on your TV. If there is none, you will probably have to replace the video card.

If you have an HDTV, it may have a DVI port on it. In this case you can use a DVI-to-VGA adapter to connect the VGA port on your G4 to the DVI port on the TV. That's assuming your G4 doesn't have a DVI port (in which case I'm assuming you don't have an HDTV because you probably wouldn't need help then).

The last solution I can think of is some kind of DVI/VGA-to-Component/S-Video adapter. I've never seen one, but they probably exist.

The easiest solution (assuming you don't have anything built-in to handle it) would be to get a video card that can do this. The cheapest would be to use some the above adapter, assuming it exists. Hopefully this helps.

ndanimal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2004
Thanks.

To be more specific, I want to connect to a standard, non-digital, non-hi-def television. Composite video would be fine, although I'm not picky. My graphics card is (I think) an ATI Radeon 9000 Pro, which came with my dual 1.25 Powermac. It has one DVI and one ADC output.

Failing a usable solution, does anyone know why the G5 DVI-to-Video adapter is G5 only? Why shouldn't a Powermac G4 be able to output to a television when every other system down to the eMac can do so with a $19.00 adapter?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.