Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArmouredGuitar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2004
Canada
Hey guys,

We bought a used PM G5 2.3 (early 2005 model) used back May. It worked perfect until about a month ago give or take. When I bought it, I installed a new HDD, fresh OS install (10.5) and upgraded ram. The machine was perfect and was lightening fast just for every day emailing and web browsing.

The problem is its become extremely sluggish and laggy. Even as I type this there is a delay every now and then with the words. When I open up safari for example and type in the search bar, I will start typing and it will jam and then 8 seconds later the word i typed will appear. Over all everything I do on this computer is a pain in my rear due to this lag/hanging/freezing....

I thought it might of been the hdd, so I cloned the hdd onto another new hdd and the problem still persisted.

What else would it be? I am open to any and all suggestion as I am about to scrap this POS......

heres the specs,
Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Power Mac G5
Model Identifier: PowerMac7,3
Processor Name: PowerPC G5 (3.0)
Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz
Number Of CPUs: 2
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 6.5 GB
Bus Speed: 1.15 GHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.2.4f1
Serial Number (system): G8521J2ZRU3
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-001124882280

Thanks,
Ag
P.s Just ask if you need any more info.

ThunderSnake

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
How much free space do you have on your HD? Is your new drive the same size as the old one? A full drive can really slow down OSX. 90% full will bring it to its knees.

If this is not the issue, I think you should download Applejack.

After installing, reboot holding command + s. This will boot to a CLI. At the prompt, type "Applejack AUTO". Let it do its stuff.

This will either fix the problem or rule out some things and give us a place to start.

Be sure to read all of the documentation that comes with Applejack and be aware that the first reboot will be slower because the system has to rebuild cache files and such.

ArmouredGuitar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2004
Canada
Heres my HDD specs under about this mac

ST31500341AS:

Capacity: 1.36 TB
Model: ST31500341AS
Revision: CC1H
Serial Number: 9VS1NAL5
Removable Media: No
Detachable Drive: No
BSD Name: disk0
Protocol: ata
Unit Number: 0
Socket Type: Serial-ATA
Bay Name: "A (upper)"
Mac OS 9 Drivers: No
Partition Map Type: APM (Apple Partition Map)
S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified
Volumes:
Untitled 1:
Capacity: 1.36 TB
Available: 508.13 GB
Writable: Yes
File System: Journaled HFS+
BSD Name: disk0s3
Mount Point: /

I did use diskwarrior, is applejack a similar program?

Thanks,
Ag

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
i guess its time to run the Apple hardware test extended , takes a while , but if theire is a hardware problem it will show it usually ;)
but i would backup the files you need and do a complete fresh install of Leopard too instead of just cloning it, just because if theire is any software issue you clone that too ;)

and before you start, just take out your upgraded ram and play around with it , means 1 module in the other out ..the original ram in and out , hope you know what i mean , as the most common G5 problem is RAM

Last edited:

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
Where would one find the apple hardware tests?

on the original disc's that came with the Mac , but as i know the Mac's usually only come preinstalled with leopard now and the original disc's stay with the seller
but if you phone Apple care and ask then very very nicely if they can send you the original disc's , they usually do and sometimes even free of charge ,sometimes at least, otherwise they ask for a small fee, remember to write down the serial number of the G5, they ask for it

but reset pram and try the ram swapping around

Last edited:

ArmouredGuitar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2004
Canada
on the original disc's that came with the Mac , but as i know the Mac's usually only come preinstalled with leopard now and the original disc's stay with the seller
but if you phone Apple care and ask then very very nicely if they can send you the original disc's , they usually do and sometimes even free of charge ,sometimes at least, otherwise they ask for a small fee, remember to write down the serial number of the G5, they ask for it

but reset pram and try the ram swapping around

Anywhere I can just download it and burn to a cd/dvd?

ArmouredGuitar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2004
Canada
Would an OS disc work or does it have to be the actual set of discs that came with the computer? the only set of disc's I still have laying around are for a Imac G4 and a '06 Macpro.....

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
The Apple Hardware Test was originally distributed on an Apple Hardware Test CD. It is now distributed on a special volume on the Mac OS X Install Disc 1 DVD included with the computer. Each Apple Hardware Test is specific to the type and model of Mac with which it was distributed.

here all about the Apple Hardware test
http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/aht.html

ThunderSnake

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
I did use diskwarrior, is applejack a similar program?

It has been years since I've used Disk Warrior, so I really can't compare (maybe someone familiar with both can answer?).

What AppleJack does specifically is this:

1. repair disk
2. repair permissions
3. cleanup cache files
4. validate preference files
5. remove swap files

And it does all of this in single user mode (booting while holding Cmd + s). Some problems are difficult, if not impossible, to correct from multi-user mode.

I've only had one weird problem like yours since using Leopard, but AppleJack fixed it.

Personally, I don't see anything unethical about downloading a copy of AHT if you can find the one that you need. This is not something that Apple sells for profit and, frankly, they should make them all available on their website for free download anyway. Just my opinion, but I've also seen people share these files in Apple's own forums and only occasionally have seen the moderators raise a fuss about it. If you can't find it, I'd ask there (tip: If you sign up there, make sure your email addy is visible in your profile. There are some generous people there who may not wish to be obvious about it).

That said, I'm not sure of everything that Disk Warrior does, so I don't know if we've ruled out a cache, swap file, or other disk problem yet. Maybe someone else can weigh in on this.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
actually Apple does provide Apple Hardware Test for download for nearly every PPC Mac
http://www.info.apple.com/support/aht.html
just not for the PowerMac G5 and other PPC Mac's build after 2002 ,means for about all Mac's that are officially supported by Leopard they dont offer the AHT for download ..dont ask why

So like i said to call Apple care tell them your serial number and pay a fee and you should find the AHT and original OS in the post soon

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.