Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ault45

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Delaware, OH
The rivets on my G5 quad's feet broke loose yesterday. Does anyone have an idea on how to fix them or where I can get another case thats fits the inside of the quad properly? Thanks!

bizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
It's not worth the effort and cost. It's a pain to transplant everything into another case.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
That bad?

IMO nope, but it depends on your skills ;) Using right tools it shouldn't take more than one hour (for the first time - I've been there many times). It's harder to find good deal on case in mint condition than transplant G5 innards into it.
Only Late 2005 case will be good, earlier models have different standoffs and other details like ports layout etc. Look for dead Quad or other DC.

You don't need to transplant everything. Only logic board, PSU, CPUs with LCS, graphics card and HDD(s).

bizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
I am seasoned ACMT and I still wouldn't do it because it makes no effect on how the machine operates.

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
Occasionally a Late 2005 case will hit eBay. A mint one was going for nearly $200 once, I asked the seller to come down and got no response. It eventually sold for around $140 I believe.

Still outrageous, but it's worth it to someone if you want to preserve the looks of the best PPC computer ever made. I know I would be willing to pay a little more for a mint case on my Quad.

I have broken feet on mine, but 4 rivets are still intact. I was able to bend the feet *roughly* back into position.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.