Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nokiauk

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2005
Scotland
Could I possibly be correct in thinking that an installed USB 2.0 PCI card would take priority over the standard USB 2.0 Ports on a G5 Powermac?

The reason I ask is that I have a USB 2.0 PCI card installed and if I connect my Cinema Display USB Breakout via the PCI 2.0 card then my USB devices which are connected to the Display (mouse/keyboard) power up no problem, however if I connect the Display to the G5's rear USB ports then the Display's Ports get no power at all unless I unplug it then plug it in again which must re-distribute power or something?

Just in case it matters I am running a Rev B Powermac G5 Dual 2Ghz with new Aluminium Cinema 20" Display using Tiger.

Seems an odd quirk if this is the case

bilbo--baggins

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
same here

I've tried a couple of different brand of USB 2.0 PCI cards in my dual 2.3 GHz G5 (with PCI-X slots) and I had exactly the same problems with ports being unreliable and particularly when plugging in my 20" cinema display (alu case).

I'm still hunting for a USB 2.0 PCI card that will work properly. Unfortunately NOBODY has been able to offer a solution. Currently I'm using a Belkin card reader / USB 2.0 powered hub combo and it works very reliably. However, I really would rather have a PCI card so there are less wires/few power sockets used.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.