Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mhaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
Canada
I've got a 37" LG LC2D panel and a G5 PowerMac with dual DVI outputs. I just picked up a DVI->HDMI cable, expecting it output to a resolution of 1366*768. However, the only options I have are: 1024*768, 1280*720, and 1920*540 (which doesn't work). Is it not possible for the Mac to output to a 1366*768 resolution on the 256MB GeForce 6600 PCI Express? If not, what are my upgrade options?

Thanks!

Wyl

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2007
Canada
When you use a DVI cable (digital signal) to connect you Computer to DVI monitor, they have a conversation... Plug and Pray :) ... The Monitor then tells the computer what resolution it will accept. The limitation come from the monitor... not the Mac :)

on a side note... if you hook up the monitor VGA / Analogue you can use all of the resolutions, but monitor will compress the signal you give it to fit....

panoz7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
No need to upgrade your graphics card... it's certainly capable of outputting that resolution but you have to force OS X to do it.

Unfortunately this requires third party software. I used a program called SwitchResX to output to an older lcd.

For more information read through this thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/267310/

It's not your exact situation but may be helpful nonetheless.

Mhaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
Canada
No need to upgrade your graphics card... it's certainly capable of outputting that resolution but you have to force OS X to do it.

Unfortunately this requires third party software. I used a program called SwitchResX to output to an older lcd.

For more information read through this thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/267310/

It's not your exact situation but may be helpful nonetheless.
Thanks for the link.

Downloaded SwitchResX and attempted to output to a 1360*768 and I get an "invalid format" message and a blank screen on my LCD. For some reason, I can't get 1366*768 to show up in the Display Menu. Thoughts?

Edit: Now I can't even get the 1366 or 1360 resolutions to appear in the Display Menus at all. Hrmpf... any ideas?

Wyl

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2007
Canada
Look on Page 27 on your user manual....

You might be on the wrong mode.... you should be in "DVI-PC" mode and make sure you have all your refresh rates set correctly...

Also try the VGA input.... see if you can get the right resolution that way

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006
That's odd. The short time I had an HDTV, it plugged into my Mac instantly and it knew what the resolution was. It was a 37" 1080p Westinghouse, I forget which revision.

Mhaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
Canada
Wyl, I'm definitely in the right mode - HDMI/DVI. I don't have a DVI - PC (only an RGB - PC because I dont' have a DVI input, only VGA). According to my user manual, the largest resolution that this panel accepts on a VGA or DVI/HDMI connection is 1024*768, which sounds ridiculous to me (especially considering I'm running 1280*720 currently, and yes, it is skewed). Looks like I'm out of options :(

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Use Your DVI to VGA Adapter & A VGA Cable For Perfect Connection

Wyl, I'm definitely in the right mode - HDMI/DVI. I don't have a DVI - PC (only an RGB - PC because I dont' have a DVI input, only VGA). According to my user manual, the largest resolution that this panel accepts on a VGA or DVI/HDMI connection is 1024*768, which sounds ridiculous to me (especially considering I'm running 1280*720 currently, and yes, it is skewed). Looks like I'm out of options :(
Not really. I have this hookup from my PowerMac Quad G5 and it works perfectly. Your mistake was trying to connect to the HDMI input instead of the VGA input. It does have a VGA input labeled RGB IN. That's your progressive computer output friendly port. The HDMI port may not be.

Use the DVI to VGA adapter that came with your PowerMac G5 and connect a VGA cable between the two. It will work perfectly at native 1366x768 resolution. Do you have the "Show displays in menu bar" Check box checked in your Displays System Preference? Makes it easier to switch to native resolution that way.

You need to keep the the HDMI input available for a DVD player etc.

37" LG LC2D Instruction Manual Page 9

It's Right of the Cable IN port RGB IN=VGA labeled RGB (PC/DTV) and you run an analog 1/8" to 1/8" mini Stereo cable from your Mac's Audio out if you want to put the Mac's audio in it as well. I don't do that. I listen from the Mac.

Mhaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
Canada
I've tried VGA with the DVI connector but the highest resolution that appears in the Display menu is 1024*768, and the 1360/1366*768 resolutions that I enable / add to SwitchResX do not appear in the Display menu after rebooting either (over the DVI->HDMI or DVI->VGA cables).

Edit: This probably doesn't make a difference, but I don't have the original VGA->DVI connector that I got with my Mac, but I do have this MSI one that I got with a PC way back when (see attachment). Does this connector have the right pins?

Attachments

• Snapshot 2007-03-18 23-50-27.jpg
    Snapshot 2007-03-18 23-50-27.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 63
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.