Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atomiton

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2004
Hi there, I'm in the IT department at our company, and we had 5 powermacs stolen with their 17" LCDs. We're looking at replacing them now and I'm looking for an alternative to the Apple displays. I've heard people praise the dell lcds here. Can anyone make a recommendation. All apple has available is $1000 Apple displays.

Bear in mind that the look of the machine isn't as important as a home user would have we would just like to get them back up and running.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I think Dell has the best compromise between a reasonably quality display and a good price point. :)

You can't say you weren't expecting that...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Yes, sorry for your loss, I have been very happy with my usage experience with the Dell LCDs also. And considering that you can probably get 2405FPWs for that price, I think the users will also be pleased! :)

Did you find out anything about what happened? Stealing five PMs and their LCDs isn't exactly a "stick it under my coat and run" kind of enterprise. :( Someone must've thought that all out carefully. :(

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
atomiton said:
Hi there, I'm in the IT department at our company, and we had 5 powermacs stolen with their 17" LCDs. We're looking at replacing them now and I'm looking for an alternative to the Apple displays. I've heard people praise the dell lcds here. Can anyone make a recommendation. All apple has available is $1000 Apple displays.

The dell 24" is around $800 these days...there's a 19" thats even cheaper. Definitely great displays if you dont mind the Dell logo on them.

atomiton

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2004
They pried back some plexiglass and and were able to get in. It was a vulnerability that has now been fixed. Unfortunately, the macs are on the ground floor now. They also took an IBM T41 laptop. Basically all the stuff that had resale value.

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
savar said:
The dell 24" is around $800 these days...there's a 19" thats even cheaper. Definitely great displays if you dont mind the Dell logo on them.
If you can get me a 2405 for $800 I'll get out my credit card right now. I can't find them for less than $900.

atomiton said:
It was a vulnerability that has now been fixed.
Only an IT guy can call weak plexy a "vulnerability". Glad you ran an update and got that security hole patched. ;)

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
The Dell 2005FPW 20.1" widescreen uses the exact same LCD panel as Apple's 20" ACD. It has more input ports (VGA, DVI, S-video and composite video), 2 USB 2.0 ports and often dips below $500 with coupons etc. Right now this display is listed for 463.20 on Dell's website. I love mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.