Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigRed1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 13, 2011
OK - I'm an idiot. When I ran out of space, I didn't have any cash to buy another hard drive, so I started using my backup disk to store new files.

I finally ordered a replacement backup drive on Wednesday.

On Thursday the former backup drive died, along with all of the new files I've added to iTunes over the last year or so (while the new drive was in UPS's hands). It is the second drive in my G5 tower. The first still works fine.

Disk Utility only sees the drive enough to want to format it. Disk Warrior 3 doesn't see it at all. Tech Tool doesn't see it at all.

Is there another program that runs on PPC that might be able to run on my PPC machine that will let me recover these files? Anything else I can do?

BigRed1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 13, 2011
This turned into a good news/bad news thing. The hard drive is fine, it is the lower bay cable or controller that is effed. Data recovered, but I'm left with only one functioning bay in my tower...

syncmaster632

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2012
This turned into a good news/bad news thing. The hard drive is fine, it is the lower bay cable or controller that is effed. Data recovered, but I'm left with only one functioning bay in my tower...

This is only a god news man as you recovered you data otherwise you have to spend a lot of time in recovering data. From the next time i would suggest you to make two copies of your backup and also keep a copy of Kernel Data Recovery for Mac an effective tool to recover deleted or formatted data.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
Use an external hard drive enclosure to plug the drive in then.

Also, Data Rescue 3 is great, I used it when I worked as a pro Apple technician. Seriously, it's great.

BigRed1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 13, 2011
Well, to further change the story, not that anyone should car: Within about 3 hours of backing up that drive from the other drive bay it died on me again. Crisis averted, data saved, drive=toast, money saved.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm glad you were able to save your data and I agree with Jethryn Freyman, Data Rescue 3 is awesome. I actually have the previous version, Data Rescue II, but the program works. It was able to save data for me on an old zip disk I had that was otherwise unrecoverable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.