Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
I must admit that there are many worse things someone your age could be into, so I guess your father is content that he doesn't need to spend that kind of money on lawyers and bail. ;)

I still think you would be better off with the 17" or 20" iMac
bang for the buck wise.

You may also want to consider the potential catastrophy if something awful were to happen to your new $2000 laptop between your home and school.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
realityisterror said:
I really want a laptop, and I really want it to last (which is the only reason why I'm willing to spend so much). I realize I should probably just wait until Intel PowerBooks, but with the recent updates and all...

I really strongly recommend you wait.

A computer that is inadequate yesterday is not really going to last very long.. in my book.

I mean, look at the recent app requirements, for instance Aperture requires a G5 1.8Ghz (and SUPPOSEDLY a Powerbook 1.25Ghz.. yeah right), they probably had to lie through their teeth a bit just to get the product out the door.. and besides look at this recent PB update, it really feels like Apple is on one hand holding something back, and on the other hand quite desperate to dump stock of their current 7447A processors.

Mark my words, very soon you will see G4 PBs with increased cache, and faster bus speeds, taking the places of the current line, as well as a "better" model that tops out at perhaps 2Ghz. Then would be a worthy time to upgrade to the final PPC machine, definitely not now.

I had this same decision a few days back.. ie: graduating soon, might be moving to another state.. a laptop is nice.. Nice is the operative word, but I have more desktops than I know what to do with them.

I ordered a 15", slept on the decision, and cancelled the order the following morning. It is really not worth it buying something that is behind times straight right off the bat. As I had decided before in the last January, only a 7448 would provide a semblence of a reasonable upgrade to the line.. and I still believe my prediction is right, the PB will still switch to the new Freescales in light of the Intel switch.

They didn't have to upgrade the chipset, but they already sunk the cost and did.. they didn't have to use DDR2, but likewise, they did it in the last update. The next update will probably come after Christmas to tide PB sales over the lull months, up till the Intel transition.

Perhaps I sound very cautious with this purchase decision (with what.. deliberating over it since Feb?) and it probably took me about 3-4 months before I set enough aside to be able to pay it off in full.

The pain you put in (having worked over 2 years to save for it) really deserves more than just a frivolous decision. Keep the money for now, and save it.

It is not like the iMac resale price is going to change much between now, and after Christmas.

A PB purchase would probably be just a *high* that lasts a few weeks, and when that high subsides you will truly regret it.

Hold for now.

Get a mini if you have to.

bob909bob

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2005
Wait. You are in high school. I doubt you actually need the portibility of the PB. Yes I know you wanna buy it and in the end you earned the money and it's up to you. Personally knowing your going to be starting college in two years I would reccommend upgrading your current Imac if possible saving the rest of the money and keep saving more and more, then buy when you start college.

If you have to buy anything though I think an Imac would be the the best for your needs. It's probaly the best Mac product for the price and would perform better than the powerbook with even more money left over to buy an even better PB potentially down the rode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.