Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spearsr7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2015
I posted about an issue a few weeks ago where my MacBook Pro screen went totally dead after one session with Premiere Pro. I returned that laptop and got a replacement, same specs.

It just happened again on the replacement!

I'm running a 15in, 2.6 i7, 16GB RAM, Radeon Pro 460.

The second time was less catastrophic. Screen went red and flickered for an hour. Seems to have recovered, but I simply can not trust this thing to edit. Has anyone experienced or seen similar issues?

Support is only somewhat helpful right now, but since it's a third party application the default response is "don't run that application". They're going to get back in touch tomorrow.

This hasn't happened to enough people for them to have an internal warning about it but it's happened to me twice. I'm wondering if there's something inherently flawed about this custom config or the manufacturing process.

Getting close to never trusting an Apple product again.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Doubt it would kill the MBP, but it might help Final Cut Pro. (Not sure why you're blaming the Mac instead of the software. It's usually the responsibility of the software developer to make it run properly on the machines they sell it for.)

spearsr7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2015
I'm questioning the hardware because I've run Premiere Pro on a range of Apple products for five years now, including older laptops and I've never had this experience before. It is possible it's a flaw in the software, but shouldn't the hardware have failsafes built into it to prevent standard software from damaging it?

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
I don't know how completely a manufacturer can control what outside software will do to its machines. If it's a hardware problem, it should show up in other programs too. If Premiere has been running well on earlier machines, I imagine Adobe will be able to get it to run well on the new ones too. I don't think it's unusual for there to be problems early on with new hardware and OS, but Adobe usually comes through. I hope it works out well for you. Maybe others using Premiere will have more helpful advice.

spearsr7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2015
Hopefully. Thanks for the input.

Open to any other experiences people may have had. Finding a little more over at Adobe now too, but not a lot available.

Reactions: Sanpete

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
Doubt it would kill the MBP, but it might help Final Cut Pro. (Not sure why you're blaming the Mac instead of the software. It's usually the responsibility of the software developer to make it run properly on the machines they sell it for.)

Yeah, no. There should be no way to kill/damage a Macbook using a API provided by Apple/AMD unless explicit specified in that API. If OS X/Macbook is crashing down, it's 100% Apples/AMD's fault, it means it's hardware or a software bug in the provided API's.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Yeah, no. There should be no way to kill/damage a Macbook using a API provided by Apple/AMD unless explicit specified in that API. If OS X/Macbook is crashing down, it's 100% Apples/AMD's fault, it means it's hardware or a software bug in the provided API's.

Should and is are different things, but that's beside the point of what you quoted, which is simply that it's the software developer's responsibility to make their software run on the machines they sell it for. As to your point, practically, it's impossible to always prevent outside software from causing trouble, as any programmer knows. You can't practically foresee and foreclose every possibility in a complex system.

Lol. I definitely expect someone like you to downplay the issue.

Accuracy bother you?

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Does it bother you?

Many people on this forum would say that dGPU failure is a very concerning issue and rightfully so.
Except most people on this forum are wise enough to tell the difference between a software issue and a hardware issue. This isn't dGPU failure otherwise it would occur across any Pro application and Bootcamp too. GPU failures don't only effect one system maker when they do occur.

But it's hard to change the mind of someone who wants to come on a forum and spread misinformation.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Well, the only reasonable explanation that comes to my mind is that Premiere is hitting a bug in OS X kernel code which causes whatever you experience. Most likely GPU driver. At any rate, if a software crashes the computer in such a spectacular fashion, the fault is 100% with the OS/driver developer. No matter how crappy the application is coded, the most it should be able to to is to bring itself down, not the hardware.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
Except most people on this forum are wise enough to tell the difference between a software issue and a hardware issue. This isn't dGPU failure otherwise it would occur across any Pro application and Bootcamp too. GPU failures don't only effect one system maker when they do occur.

But it's hard to change the mind of someone who wants to come on a forum and spread misinformation.

Or you know, the fault is sporadic.

Also, there aren't many non-Apple laptops that use the AMD Radeon Pro 400 Series.

Of course it is, for those it affects. But that isn't what you said. And most people have no problems with it.

And how do you know this? Did you called and asked the owner of every MacBook Pro with dGPU?

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
And how do you know this? Did you called and asked the owner of every MacBook Pro with dGPU?

This is getting silly. If most people had dGPU failure, it would be the most talked about issue here and in the press, obviously. If you think it could be a problem, point it out, but there's no need to exaggerate.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
This is getting silly. If most people had dGPU failure, it would be the most talked about issue here and in the press, obviously. If you think it could be a problem, point it out, but there's no need to exaggerate.

It was. There was a class action lawsuit.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
Regarding Polaris 11? When? Did I miss something?

Obviously, (almost) every 2016 MacBook Pro is still under warranty so you won't hear the same grumblings if people have to pay out-of-pocket for repairs.

That doesn't imply most owners have the problem, nor is it the most talked about issue here and in the press. Just stick to facts. That's more helpful.

It also doesn't imply that most owners don't have problems nor that it wasn't the most talked about issue on the forum.

Take your head out of the sand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.