Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_Glen_UK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
West Sussex, England
I’ve mentioned on here before that I keep getting the ‘Adobe Genuine Software Integrity Service’ warning message on my Mac every time I open Lightroom. I’ve been looking for a way of stopping this happening but to no avail. However, I have noticed that if I disable WiFi and open Lightroom the messages do not appear. Therefore, is there a way of preventing Lightroom connecting to the internet under any circumstances?

Just to fill you in; I am not using a dodgy or fake version. I signed up to a trial version of Lightroom 2015 a few years ago and after 30-days 95% functionality was stripped out of it, hence I cannot edit photos etc. All that I can do is catalogue them - but that suits me fine. I have emailed Adobe, chatted online to several of their Customer Service staff and spoken to four different members of their staff on the phone many of whom have confirmed that I am allowed to continue using Lightroom just to catalogue the small amount of photos I have. I have made it clear that I do not want to pay any kind of monthly subscriptions and I offered to pay a sensible one-off sum in order to use what I have, but they seem incapable of offering this. I have been informed by a few of their agents that the warning messages would stop, but so far this has not happened.

Screen Shot 2018-08-06 at 7.32.37 pm.jpg

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I don't know as I use the monthly subscription version. My guess is this message is just to badger you into upgrading to a newer version. A google search easily found some Reddit links if you search yourself.

Or have you tried DLing a new version for a trial and then continuing use of just the catalog?

Reactions: kenoh

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I’ve mentioned on here before that I keep getting the ‘Adobe Genuine Software Integrity Service’ warning message on my Mac every time I open Lightroom. I’ve been looking for a way of stopping this happening but to no avail. However, I have noticed that if I disable WiFi and open Lightroom the messages do not appear. Therefore, is there a way of preventing Lightroom connecting to the internet under any circumstances?

Just to fill you in; I am not using a dodgy or fake version. I signed up to a trial version of Lightroom 2015 a few years ago and after 30-days 95% functionality was stripped out of it, hence I cannot edit photos etc. All that I can do is catalogue them - but that suits me fine. I have emailed Adobe, chatted online to several of their Customer Service staff and spoken to four different members of their staff on the phone many of whom have confirmed that I am allowed to continue using Lightroom just to catalogue the small amount of photos I have. I have made it clear that I do not want to pay any kind of monthly subscriptions and I offered to pay a sensible one-off sum in order to use what I have, but they seem incapable of offering this. I have been informed by a few of their agents that the warning messages would stop, but so far this has not happened.

View attachment 774700

You might be able to block it in your firewall. There used to be an application that did this called radio silence. Maybe try that.

Reactions: Apple_Glen_UK

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2013
Thanks kenoh and thanks too mollyc. I might look into Radio Silence.
Or Little Snitch. I use that exclusively for my Microsoft Office package, as that has given me nothing but grief since I first bought and installed it begrudgingly at the beginning of this year... For the last 3 months or so, since I found Little Snitch, it has had no connection to the outside world and my mac-life is beautiful and tranquil again! :D

Reactions: kenoh

Cybbe

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Perhaps you can do another trial to update to the latest version? If I remember correctly, Lightroom CC Classic will do the same once a trial runs out: the develop module won't work but you can continue to use the library. May be worth a shot.

If you can't do another trial, you can always get a subscription for a month to get the latest version.

I cannot guarantee that this will end the prompts though.

If you want to venture into pirate land, you'll find guides on how to edit the hosts file and various other means of blocking access to Adobes servers. Generally used for different purposes, but may help you out.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Little Snitch or Radio Silence are your best bet. You can use these apps to monitor the outgoing traffic from your Mac when you launch Lightroom and selectively block specific communications or the whole Lightroom application from external communication for future use.

Apple_Glen_UK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
West Sussex, England
Perhaps you can do another trial to update to the latest version? If I remember correctly, Lightroom CC Classic will do the same once a trial runs out: the develop module won't work but you can continue to use the library. May be worth a shot.

If you can't do another trial, you can always get a subscription for a month to get the latest version.

I cannot guarantee that this will end the prompts though.

If you want to venture into pirate land, you'll find guides on how to edit the hosts file and various other means of blocking access to Adobes servers. Generally used for different purposes, but may help you out.

Thanks for the info. It's frustrating because I signed up to a trial version three years ago and it's only during the past few months I've started getting these messages. I have made every effort to sort it but - despite them advising me I am allowed to continue using it to catalogue my photos (I don't have that many) - all they want to do is sell me monthly subscriptions which I am not interested in. They referred me to a website where I could purchase a standalone version but it was over £200. No way! Adobe's customer service is crap if you ask me.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Thanks for the info. It's frustrating because I signed up to a trial version three years ago and it's only during the past few months I've started getting these messages. I have made every effort to sort it but - despite them advising me I am allowed to continue using it to catalogue my photos (I don't have that many) - all they want to do is sell me monthly subscriptions which I am not interested in. They referred me to a website where I could purchase a standalone version but it was over £200. No way! Adobe's customer service is crap if you ask me.

Have you looked into Adobe Bridge? It is a slimmed down catalogue like Lightrooms library and it is free, maybe stop usong LR and try bridge, they might not have put the "nag-ware" into that

Reactions: mollyc

Apple_Glen_UK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
West Sussex, England
Ok, so an update!

I have considered using Adobe Bridge. In fact, I’ve trialled quite a few alternative programs but I much prefer the way of cataloguing photos in Lightroom and its appearance. Last night I decided to give Radio Silence a try so signed up to their 24-hour trial. It installed quickly and with no problems and I immediately added Lightroom to the blocked list. However, when I opened Lightroom all my dates/times of my photos were incorrect (I am obsessive with keeping things neat and tidy and in order) and I became quite worried. Lightroom then became unresponsive and my Mac got very hot and the fans started kicking in. My Mac (13” MBP 2015) has been very well cared for and is in absolutely mint condition – it has never behaved this way before.

I turned it off, left it for a while but exactly the same happened when I tried again. In the end I removed Radio Silence and everything appears to be back to normal today. Does anyone have any idea why Radio Silence caused my Mac to behave so strangely?

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Radio Silence blocks the full app, not just the individual connection attempts. It may have been Radio Silence that was causing the problems or it could have been Lightroom since it detected a network connection but was unable to reach home. You would need to run activity monitor to see if it was actually Radio Silence or Lightroom causing the issue.
Either way, it sounds like Radio Silence is not the option for you.

I would try Little Snitch instead. There is a trial for it too and you can block individual connection attempts instead of the full app. This may work better for you:

https://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html

Reactions: Alexander.Of.Oz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.