Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nabru50

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2017
United States
I've been thinking about getting a used MacBook Pro. I'd like a model made between mid 2010 and 2015, but it seems a number of them have GPUs that will give out over time. From what I already know, it seems like 2012 pre-retina models are good, and pretty much anything after mid 2013 is okay too. Is there a comprehensive list somewhere of models to avoid?

prisstratton

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Not sure of any comprehensive list, but personally I would go with a 2015 MBP with integrated graphics. Apple does not seem to do discrete graphics very well, they have had numerous failures over the years.

I have been seriously keeping my eye on this model for a while now in anticipation of my MBP failing (due to graphics card issues). If my MBP failed tomorrow that is what I would go with, but of course that is my opinion, others may differ.

caramelpolice

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
The only post-2010 model with notable graphics failures was the 15" and 17" 2011 models. The 2012 Retina Pros had some display issues, but that was mostly image retention with the panel and not a GPU problem.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I've been thinking about getting a used MacBook Pro. I'd like a model made between mid 2010 and 2015, but it seems a number of them have GPUs that will give out over time. From what I already know, it seems like 2012 pre-retina models are good, and pretty much anything after mid 2013 is okay too. Is there a comprehensive list somewhere of models to avoid?

What size, what spec? GPU failures are only related to the dGPU of the 15" MBP.

Q-6

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
Safest is to avoid dGPU altogether as the above suggested. Even the 2015 15" with M370X, it has relatively few reports of failure but still, I have seen them. I am now typing on a maxed out version of the same model and haven't seen a single issue though.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
Wasn't this mostly a 2012 problem ? Anyhow I have a maxxed 15" 2014 going strong if that means anything to you (I don't do anything GPU intensive however)

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
My late 2008 MBP with 9600m dGPU containing a whopping 256MB VRAM is still kicking. It’s been locked to dGPU for the last 3 years as my son was using it for a while to play Minecraft and TF2.

Obviously it’s way outdated to be super useful today, but the dGPU still works. :)

Jimios

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2015
Mid 2010 15" MBP here, with the Nvidia 330M GPU. It always works with the dGPU because a couple of apps force it to.
Still works perfectly fine. I do not recommend a 7-year old laptop though, for light tasks it's fine but it's starting to show its age and the low-res screen is awful by today's standards.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Yes the 2011 were awful as was any laptop with that card in not just apple and a few of the NVIDIA cards had problems around the same time.

All dgpu's are the weak link in anything made before 2015. The AMD M370X found in the 2015 machines seems ok so

Once NVIDIA and AMD released cards on the 14nm FinFet fabrication process it seems heat, performance/watt and reliability got a lot better. However we have only had these for a couple of years so how well they will do going forward is still unknown.

ajcgn

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
My 15” 2011 MBP gpu failed a little over two years ago. Had it reballed and it’s been working fine since.
I prefer Mac for the OS as opposed to the hardware, so I am hanging onto it until it dies. But I have upgraded the memory to 8G and put in a 1T SSD. Plus I use the SD slot and old fashioned USB on a regular basis. DVD, last used about a year ago :)

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
I've heard conflicting reports on the 15" model. I'd say not messing with that model unless you can find an amazing deal or you're aware of the potential pitfalls.

The 2011 models with AMD, yes.

The 2012 models with nVidia, no.

There were screen issues with the retina models, but the non-retina 2012s have been solid.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I was thinking 15" or 17". Would like easily replaceable memory/storage/battery.

Then your limited to a 2011 or 2012 and the former is plagued with dGPU failures, better to opt for the less user upgradable and newer 15" Retina models. If the dGPU is not required look for the later 15" with only Intel integrated graphics

2012 non Retina will be hard to source, with fewer being produced and high demand. You could look at some of the older models, equally their capability may be questionable and the MBP with dGPU has rarely been trouble free..

Q-6

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
You realize you’d be getting an obsolete, old, soon-to-be unsupported computer that could die any minute without much chances of repair? It’s literally wasted money.

Not everyone can afford a new one you know. Particularly in recent years!

Reactions: elf69

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Not everyone can afford a new one you know. Particularly in recent years!

Especially if one can't afford a new one, they should think twice before spending money on a computer outside its warranty period. Not to mention that such computer would be hopelessly overpriced anyway. There are better and safer options out there.

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
I have quite a bit of confidence in the 750M, based on the time it has been on the market and the relatively few failures that have occurred, as well as my own usage for three years continually of mine being on 24-7-365 driving two displays (so always dGPU) and spending 8-12 hours a day performing tasks that involved elevated CPU and GPU work.

That said, the 750M is extremely obsolete. The iGPU on the 2017 MacBook Pro non-touchbar base model is roughly equally capable to it, which says a lot regarding how far it is going to trail the current dGPUs...

Reactions: Naimfan

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
Especially if one can't afford a new one, they should think twice before spending money on a computer outside its warranty period. Not to mention that such computer would be hopelessly overpriced anyway. There are better and safer options out there.

So macs are only for rich people then essentially?

Its can be way cheaper to unofficially repair an out of warranty machine and keep it going along time than to buy a new one outright. How do you know they are overpriced ? I recently bought a 13 month old 12" MB for less than half of the new price. Great little thing. Cheaper than an iphone. If it dies i can repair it and still have spent less than a new one. Getting new vs old doesn't negate the need for a back up either.

Reactions: elf69

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
So macs are only for rich people then essentially?

Macs were always for "rich" people (or more correctly, for people who are willing to invest more into a computer) Apple never made budget products. Frankly, I don't think that Macs are that expensive. A $3000 computer translates to $83 per month over three year ownership, which is rather cheap when you think about all the other typical expenses (think about car ownership!). But there is no question that there are cheaper computers out there if one wants to save some money, if one is ok with sacrificing some comfort/quality etc.

P.S. I got my first Macbook when I was a student, living on 500 euro per month (half went to paying rent and almost everything else went to food and other basic expenses). The 1000 euros that I spent on the computer back then was crazy money for me. But it also allowed me to me much more efficient with my time, enabling me to take a second student job, so in the end it was more then worth it.

How do you know they are overpriced?

Because I looked at USA eBay and people want $500 or more for a 13" 2012 pre-retina model. The 15" goes as high as $1000! This is utterly ridiculous for a 5 year old computer.

Reactions: green86

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
Macs were always for "rich" people (or more correctly, for people who are willing to invest more into a computer) Apple never made budget products.

Because I looked at USA eBay and people want $500 or more for a 13" 2012 pre-retina model. The 15" goes as high as $1000! This is utterly ridiculous for a 5 year old computer.

The Mac LC line was budget friendly, heck LC stood for "Low Cost". Performas were budget, Mac Minis are budget, even the low end iMac is budget once you factor in the built in screen.
eBay is probably the worst place to look but those prices seem fair for what you get. Pre-Retina Macbook Pros have something a newer Macbook Pro will never have, upgradability and repairability.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012

Oh yeah agree with you there. But I got a 2016 12" MB for less than half price of new one and it works perfectly. Out of warranty, but I'll take that risk.

There can be great deals if you are patient and stubborn!

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
those USA ebay prices similar to uk.

a 2012 macbook pro (2.5GHz 13") is £400-600 mark top end has 12 months warranty.

I like older models as can repair myself and upgrade at later date.
I do not have lots on money so older models are perfect for me as not a power user either.

Macs are expensive compared to PC. Yes they are outside my price for new but dont feel personally that they are too stupidly priced as I'm quite sure after 3 years the Mac is still going and the pc of same age has been repaired a time or two.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.