Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iExplorer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2015
I use an Airport Express(AiEx) and my non-AirPrint printer(USB only,not in the list) is connected to it.I am able to print to this printer from my MBP and my iMac, but my iPad doesn't recognise the printer at all.
Why is this so?As I see it, the AiEx is what does the printing here,not my computers.When my prints are going through the AiEx,it means that the AiEx is giving the appropriate print command to the printer.Then my iPad should just as easily be able to send the document to the router and then AiEx should be able to print it.
Why doesn't this happen?

JonSarge3108

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2015
I'm afraid that's not how it works.

The laptop is doing the printing, the airport just routes the information to the printer. You can install an app on iPad and laptop so that you can print via the app - I use Readdle's printer pro. Other options are available.

The only other option is to buy an AirPrint enabled printer.

iExplorer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2015
I'm afraid that's not how it works.

The laptop is doing the printing, the airport just routes the information to the printer. You can install an app on iPad and laptop so that you can print via the app - I use Readdle's printer pro. Other options are available.

The only other option is to buy an AirPrint enabled printer.
Cool, thanks! Just found out that Printer Pro need not have a desktop app enabled, so that's great

arsradu

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2015
Are there any other recent alternatives to Printer Pro? Seems it’s been discontinued. But why the hell can you print no problem from a Mac but not from iPhone, iPad etc?

Update: looks like the problem here is the printer driver! And you can still print from the iPhone (probably iPad, too) using softwares like Printer Share (not free, but at least working).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.