Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TL24

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
So what exactly does this feature do? I'm trying to figure out if it impacts photo quality or not and there's barely any information out there on whether or not it does.

I've tried taking photos with it on and off and without pixel peeping on a desktop I'm not seeing much of a difference. Only noticed a slight bump in size for a photo I took, 1.5mb (Prioritize Faster Shooting: On) vs 1.6mb (Prioritize Faster Shooting: Off). I'll have to do some more testing later after work and see if I can figure this out but if you have some insight, please share it here.

Thanks!

gtg465x

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016
I've always thought it would only reduce quality if you're tapping the shutter button rapidly.

gtg465x

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016
Interesting results from just looking at photo sizes for the same scene:

Prioritize Faster Shooting Disabled: 1.4 MB
Prioritize Faster Shooting Enabled single photo: 1.3 MB
Prioritize Faster Shooting Enabled multiple rapid photos: 1.3 MB, 1.3 MB, 2.0 MB, 2.0 MB, 2.0 MB...

With the feature enabled, it seems like the photos actually get larger on the 3rd rapid press of the shutter button. This makes me wonder if the feature only affects compression level / quality and not image quality. Maybe they just turn down the compression level after a few photos to speed up processing.

edit: It definitely does affect image quality, at least starting from the 3rd photo when you are rapid pressing. The first couple photos with the feature enabled look basically identical to the photo with the feature disabled, but the 3rd and later photos, which are larger, definitely have noticeably more noise. I uploaded a few 100% crops to compare below.

Disabled:
disabled.jpeg

Enabled, 1st shot:
enabled shot 1.jpeg

Enabled, 3rd shot: (check out the noise, especially in the black areas)
enabled shot 3.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: TL24

TL24

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Interesting results from just looking at photo sizes for the same scene:

Prioritize Faster Shooting Disabled: 1.4 MB
Prioritize Faster Shooting Enabled single photo: 1.3 MB
Prioritize Faster Shooting Enabled multiple rapid photos: 1.3 MB, 1.3 MB, 2.0 MB, 2.0 MB, 2.0 MB...

With the feature enabled, it seems like the photos actually get larger on the 3rd rapid press of the shutter button. This makes me wonder if the feature only affects compression level / quality and not image quality. Maybe they just turn down the compression level after a few photos to speed up processing.

edit: It definitely does affect image quality, at least starting from the 3rd photo when you are rapid pressing. The first couple photos with the feature enabled look basically identical to the photo with the feature enabled, but the 3rd and later photos, which are larger, definitely have noticeably more noise. I uploaded a few 100% crops to compare below.

Disabled:
View attachment 2098674

Enabled, 1st shot:
View attachment 2098673

Enabled, 3rd shot: (check out the noise, especially in the black areas)
View attachment 2098675
Very interesting, thank you for taking the time to run your own test!

I'll have to run some test later tonight as well once I'm off of work. I currently have it disabled and will try to snap a few shots during break with it on and off, then will do a pixel peep when I get home.

Yayayayxxxxx66

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2023
Very interesting, thank you for taking the time to run your own test!

I'll have to run some test later tonight as well once I'm off of work. I currently have it disabled and will try to snap a few shots during break with it on and off, then will do a pixel peep when I get home.
Hello any update on this topic? I want the best quality possible so should i turn this off? Would keeping faster shooting "on" make pictures less blurry if the objects are moving since it takes the pic faster? Or is having it "off" better in any circumstance possible, wheter the object is moving or not?

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2018
Londrina - PR / Brazil
Hello any update on this topic? I want the best quality possible so should i turn this off? Would keeping faster shooting "on" make pictures less blurry if the objects are moving since it takes the pic faster? Or is having it "off" better in any circumstance possible, wheter the object is moving or not?
I would like to know if you have come to a conclusion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.