Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoDevious

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2006
Hi! I've just become the proud owner of an Apple MacBook (Core Duo 2 GHz 80GB MA472B) which I'm about to max out with 2gb RAM!

I'm a newbie MAC owner and am using this laptop as a dedicated music production suite, using cubase, reason, final cut, all the plug-ins i can find plus ableton live...

I'm wondering if anyone can advise of a decent Soundcard that I should buy? Budget of upto about £300...

Many thanks!

Jo :eek:)

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
I am not sure I understand. The macbook already has a soundcard and replacing that would probably take more knowledge than being a 'newbie mac owner'. :)

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Jiddick ExRex said:
I am not sure I understand. The macbook already has a soundcard and replacing that would probably take more knowledge than being a 'newbie mac owner'. :)

Well you don't replace that because it is technically impossible, but you can buy external audio interfaces that hook up via Firewire..

Wanna go pro? It does take some serious coin to get started :rolleyes:

JoDevious

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2006
generik said:
Well you don't replace that because it is technically impossible, but you can buy external audio interfaces that hook up via Firewire..

Wanna go pro? It does take some serious coin to get started :rolleyes:

yay - that's what i meant ... that's some heavy piece of kit & at over £500 - it should be too! do you think that an m-audio 410 would make a good cheaper alternative?

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
JoDevious said:
yay - that's what i meant ... that's some heavy piece of kit & at over £500 - it should be too! do you think that an m-audio 410 would make a good cheaper alternative?

M-Audio not so good.

I heard there is a smaller version of the Fireface though, not too sure, not the expert :eek:

xJulianx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2006
Brighton, UK
Ever thought of using Logic? I have always found it far, far more powerful than Cubase, the plugins are just brilliant.

Having said that, I have hardly given Cubase a proper run for it's money.

Just wondering what you think of Logic.:)

ormandj

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2006
xJulianx said:
Ever thought of using Logic? I have always found it far, far more powerful than Cubase, the plugins are just brilliant.

Having said that, I have hardly given Cubase a proper run for it's money.

Just wondering what you think of Logic.:)

Logic is much better IMO, but it all depends on you as a person. For me, I can work in Logic much more efficiently. Regardless, this isn't what he was asking about. :)

Apogee Ensemble. <-- Best interface money can buy. (Short of $50k+ insane solutions.)

http://gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php?t=71114
http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/ensemble.php

Oops, just noticed you have a cap on your spending. Hmm. MOTU Ultralight then. About $540 usd, which is under your budget.

http://www.studio-central.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=184882
http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/ultralite

Slipmip

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2006
Do a search in the ableton forums, there are tons of posts on interfaces(souncards).

xJulianx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2006
Brighton, UK
ormandj said:
Logic is much better IMO, but it all depends on you as a person. For me, I can work in Logic much more efficiently. Regardless, this isn't what he was asking about. :)

I know, I was just curious to his opinions on Logic/Cubase.

ormandj

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2006
xJulianx said:
I know, I was just curious to his opinions on Logic/Cubase.

Hehe, sorry, I didn't mean to come off as "snappy" at you. :) Just was trying to say "now back to the topic". :p Sorry!! :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.