prob with repair permissions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rogerw, Mar 1, 2006.

1. rogerw macrumors 6502

just tried to repair the disc permissions on a 800mhz g4 iMac running Panther. A message came up saying it had failed because the permissions had been disconnected (or something similar to this)It said I had to quit and try again. This i tried but same thing happened. I thought, ' i know, ill try a restart' which i did but same thing happened when i tried it again. Cant even verify them either. The only reason i tried to carry this out is that the imac has been running dog slow lately and I thought this would clear it.

wondered if anyone had any ideas on this, but i can sense a disc formatting thingy coming on soon.

ta

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Try dragging your iTunes app from the Applications folder to the Desktop. Put it back once you're finished though. :)

3. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

You could also try using a third party cleaning app like Xupport or Onyx to do the repair - not sure about Onyx, but Xupport will give you a readout of what it's doing as it does it, so you can see what files it had problems with if it stops

4. rogerw thread starter macrumors 6502

i thought you were taking the p*ss, until i tried this and it worked.

Thanks very much, but why would that be?

cheers, and to others that answered

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Excellent. Now that we know your problem, we can aim for a long-term fix.

Once iTunes is back in your Applications folder, go to the Receipts folder in your System's Library and remove older versions of iTunes receipts.

I have Tiger now and it's been a while since I've seen Panther but there should be a file (possibly more than one) iTunesY.pkg where Y is a number less than 6. Drag these out of the folder and onto the Desktop, now try repairing permissions again. If this works, delete the PKG file(s) on your Desktop. :)

It's a known bug with 10.3.9 and iTunes 6.0 but removing old PKG files usually works. :cool:

6. rogerw thread starter macrumors 6502

gone to the receipts in the systems library and there are no files like you mentioned just a install log from adobe.com :confused:

ah yes it would help if I actually looked in the correct place. Ill try that and let u know how it goes - Ta

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It might be easier to do a quick search for iTunes.pkg because this file should be in the same folder. Keep this iTunes.pkg file though. :)

8. rogerw thread starter macrumors 6502

did delete this, but now put it back.
    ta for help, all fine now