Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rogerw

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 13, 2004
west sussex UK
just tried to repair the disc permissions on a 800mhz g4 imac running Panther. A message came up saying it had failed because the permissions had been disconnected (or something similar to this)It said I had to quit and try again. This i tried but same thing happened. I thought, ' i know, ill try a restart' which i did but same thing happened when i tried it again. Cant even verify them either. The only reason i tried to carry this out is that the imac has been running dog slow lately and I thought this would clear it.

wondered if anyone had any ideas on this, but i can sense a disc formatting thingy coming on soon.

ta

frankblundt

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2005
South of the border
You could also try using a third party cleaning app like Xupport or Onyx to do the repair - not sure about Onyx, but Xupport will give you a readout of what it's doing as it does it, so you can see what files it had problems with if it stops

rogerw

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 13, 2004
west sussex UK
mad jew said:
Try dragging your iTunes app from the Applications folder to the Desktop. Put it back once you're finished though. :)

i thought you were taking the p*ss, until i tried this and it worked.

Thanks very much, but why would that be?

cheers, and to others that answered

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Excellent. Now that we know your problem, we can aim for a long-term fix.

Once iTunes is back in your Applications folder, go to the Receipts folder in your System's Library and remove older versions of iTunes receipts.

I have Tiger now and it's been a while since I've seen Panther but there should be a file (possibly more than one) iTunesY.pkg where Y is a number less than 6. Drag these out of the folder and onto the Desktop, now try repairing permissions again. If this works, delete the PKG file(s) on your Desktop. :)

It's a known bug with 10.3.9 and iTunes 6.0 but removing old PKG files usually works. :cool:

rogerw

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 13, 2004
west sussex UK
mad jew said:
Excellent. Now that we know your problem, we can aim for a long-term fix.

Once iTunes is back in your Applications folder, go to the Receipts folder in your System's Library and remove older versions of iTunes receipts.

I have Tiger now and it's been a while since I've seen Panther but there should be a file (possibly more than one) iTunesY.pkg where Y is a number less than 6. Drag these out of the folder and onto the Desktop, now try repairing permissions again. If this works, delete the PKG file(s) on your Desktop. :)

It's a known bug with 10.3.9 and iTunes 6.0 but removing old PKG files usually works. :cool:

gone to the receipts in the systems library and there are no files like you mentioned just a install log from adobe.com :confused:

ah yes it would help if I actually looked in the correct place. Ill try that and let u know how it goes - Ta

rogerw

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 13, 2004
west sussex UK
mad jew said:
It might be easier to do a quick search for iTunes.pkg because this file should be in the same folder. Keep this iTunes.pkg file though. :)
did delete this, but now put it back.
ta for help, all fine now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.