Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gladoscc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Here is the message I'm getting:

"Problem turning on mail
There was a problem turning on your email, try again"

I am trying to create a @icloud.com email address with my apple ID (settings -> icloud -> mail).

I've also tried creating new apple Ids but that doesn't work either

FileTran

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2012
mine has been working justfine. Try to restore you iDevice and update it to iOS6 beta 4! Thats what i did!

FileTran

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2012
U must bee in a diffrent reigon! iOS6 BETA 4 has been released like 4 hours ago! Trust me i have been working with apple for 2 years now

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
U must bee in a diffrent reigon! iOS6 BETA 4 has been released like 4 hours ago! Trust me i have been working with apple for 2 years now

Apple operates on Pacific time, I happen to be in that time zone right now. The developer page still has iOS 6b3 as the latest. Working in an Apple retail store does not count as working at Apple and I hardly think they'd ever hire someone with your language and typing skills.

FileTran

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2012
Hahaha i dotn work at apple my dad does and we have a developers account! So ik when BETA's come out unlink you cause you hack your way to get BETA 3!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Hahaha i dotn work at apple my dad does and we have a developers account! So ik when BETA's come out unlink you cause you hack your way to get BETA 3!

The grammar in that sentence is appalling and the spelling is no better. I don't hack my way to get the iOS betas. I pay for them and download them legally from Apple through the developer portal to develop my applications for them. Quite the opposite of you. One could argue that your method of obtaining the betas is unethical and illegal because you are not the owner of the developer account as to which they are assigned to. Even if your father works at Apple, he would be unable to discuss such things as along the lines of the next developer beta release. There are a handful of people, likely less then 10, that know when the next milestone release will be. The rest are simply working on their part of the iOS build and submit it to the source tree.

David Menzel

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2012
I waited since Monday but now I can send/receive emails using my primary email and aliases with @icloud.com domain from beta.icloud.com, my iPhone and iPad. However, with the Mac I can only receive emails, I can not choose the new @icloud.com addresses.

I think that you have to wait for it until Apple have fixed the conversion problems.

diverbelow

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2012
HEy Guys

on IOS Beta 3 when i want to create @icloud.com email it keeps saying cannot create APPLE ID due to server error.

Do you know why? any workaround?

If somebody can help me creating this email i will be super grateful, i know the name is available.

Let me know and in any case many thanks !!!

siyu

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2012

hey,i was checke my device justnow,no any new upgrade about it!

Hcmac

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2013
This is the SOLUTION to this ISSUE

the error is misguiding, do not waste your time calling APPLE Support
what the error mean is that the email address you selected is already taken
change the email name you selected and try again.

Apple needs to modify this error message because it is just annoying and misleading

Iproblems

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2016
Hi, been having this problem for 5 days (2016)

Phones apple , was guided through setting up new Apple ID.

Wanted to use a new @icloud email, but it didn't work, so rang back and was told it's not possible to use an iCloud email as Apple ID, as its on same "system"...

So used another gmail account (luckily had another one!) and then went back into: settings; iCloud; and pressed green slider button; then the usual create iCloud email... Used a original iCloud name (not the one I'd tried using before to try to get it to register) and this time it accepted it, FIRST TIME (WOW!!!).... Then the green button on mail integer worked, also first time!

Just checked my email app (the one installed) and I have my two gmail accounts, my previously obtained iCloud account; and now have a fully funcitioning "iCloud" folder, that says "iCloud" as an account - as opposed to the xxxx@icloud account, that says: xxxx@icloud in the email accounts that I have.

You have to manually sign out of iCloud (through settings; iCloud) and also iTunes (through settings; iTunes , App Store)

All beyond me, but it worked.

Remember: you can't use an @icloud email for your Apple ID!

Here's some copy/paste of the e
What to do after you change your Apple ID email address or password
After you change your Apple ID email address or password, you might need to update your sign-in information with any Apple services that you're using.

After you change your Apple ID or password, use the alphabetical list below to make sure that each store or service is using your updated sign-in information. You can use these steps to sign in on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, PC, and Apple TV.

In some cases, you don't need to update your Apple ID or password on your device until the next time you're asked to sign in to the store or service. But if you're using services to share information or communicate with others, you should update your Apple ID or password immediately.

divider.png

Apple Developer Programs
Nothing needs to be done. Within 24 hours of changing your Apple ID or password, the change automatically updates for Apple's developer programs.

divider.png

Apple Online Store
Update your Apple ID and password on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, and PC.

iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
Go to Settings > iTunes & App Store.

• If you're signed out, enter your updated Apple ID and password.
  • If you're signed in with your previous Apple ID, tap your Apple ID, then tap Sign Out. Then enter your updated Apple ID and password.
Mac with OS X Mountain Lion or later, or Windows PC
  1. Go to the Apple Online Store.
  2. Click
    yosemite-sign_in_icon.png
    , then click View Account.
  3. In the Account Settings section, click "Update your Apple ID email address and password."
  4. Enter your updated Apple ID and password.
divider.png

Apple Retail Store services
When you make a Genius Bar, Workshop, Business, or Joint Venturereservation, you'll be asked to sign in with your Apple ID and password. Just go to the Apple Retail Store and click Learn, Business, or Get Help, then follow the onscreen steps.

divider.png

Apple Support website and Apple Support Communities
Go to the Apple Support website and click Get Started.

• If you're signed out, enter your updated Apple ID and password the next time you use a feature of the site that requires you to sign in. For example, you'll be asked to sign in to view an open case.
  • If you're signed in with your previous Apple ID, click Sign Out, then click Sign Out again to confirm. The next time you use a feature of the site that requires you to sign in, enter your updated Apple ID and password.
Go to the Apple Support Communities.

• If you're signed out, click Sign in and enter your updated Apple ID and password.
  • If you're signed in with your previous Apple ID, click Sign out, then click Sign in and enter your updated Apple ID and password.
Go to supportprofile.apple.com.

• If you're signed out, click Sign in and enter your updated Apple ID and password.
  • If you're signed in with your previous Apple ID, click Sign out, then click Sign out again when asked to confirm. Click Sign in and enter your updated Apple ID and password.
divider.png

FaceTime
Update your Apple ID and password on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac.

Go to Settings > FaceTime.

• If you're signed out on your iPhone or iPod touch, tap "Use your Apple ID for FaceTime" and enter your updated Apple ID and password. On your iPad, just enter your updated Apple ID and password.
  • If you're signed in with your previous Apple ID, tap your Apple ID, then tap Sign Out. On your iPhone or iPod touch, tap "Use your Apple ID for FaceTime" and enter your updated Apple ID and password to sign in. On your iPad, just enter your updated Apple ID and password.
Mac with OS X Mountain Lion or later
  1. Open the FaceTime app.
  2. Select FaceTime > Preferences.
    • If you're signed in with your previous Apple ID, select your Apple ID, click Sign Out. Then click Sign Out again when asked to confirm, and enter your updated Apple ID and password.
divider.png

Find My iPhone
Open the Find My iPhone app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:

• If you're signed in with your previous Apple ID, tap Sign Out. Then tap Sign Out again when asked to confirm, and enter your updated Apple ID and password.
divider.png

Game Center
Update your Apple ID and password on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, and Apple TV (4th generation).

Go to Settings > Game Center.

• If you're signed in with your previous Apple ID, tap your Apple ID and tap Sign Out. Then enter your updated Apple ID and password.
Open the Game Center app.

• If you're signed out, enter your updated Apple ID and password and click Sign In.
  • If you're signed in with your previous Apple ID, choose Account > Sign Out, then enter your updated Apple ID and password.
Apple TV (4th generation)
Go to Settings > Accounts > Game Center.

• If you're signed out, choose "Sign in to Game Center," then enter your updated Apple ID and password.
  • If you're signed in with your previous Apple ID, choose Sign Out. Then choose "Sign in to Game Center," and enter your updated Apple ID and password.
divider.png

iCloud
Update your Apple ID and password on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, PC, and Apple TV.

Go to Settings > iCloud.

• If you're signed out, enter your updated Apple ID and password. The data in iCloud will automatically appear on your device after you sign in.
  • If you're still signed in with your previous Apple ID:
    1. Scroll down and tap Sign Out, then tap Sign Out to confirm. If you're using iOS 7 or earlier, tap Delete Account, then tap Delete to confirm. You might need to enter your password. Your data will remain in iCloud and will be updated on your device when you sign in to iCloud again.
    2. Enter your updated Apple ID and password.
If you updated your Apple ID email address before signing out of iCloud, and your device repeatedly asks for the password to your previous Apple ID, you can temporarily change your Apple ID to sign in.

Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click iCloud.

• If you're signed out, enter your updated Apple ID and password to sign in. The data in iCloud will automatically appear on your device after you sign in.
  • If you're signed in with your previous Apple ID:
    1. Click Sign Out. Depending on what iCloud options are turned on, you'll be asked if you want to make copies or delete iCloud data (Contacts, Calendar, Reminders, Bookmarks, Photo Stream) from your Mac. Your data will remain in iCloud and will be updated on your device when you sign in to iCloud again.
    2. Enter your updated Apple ID and password to sign in.
Windows PC
Open iCloud for Windows and click Sign Out.

• If you're signed out, sign in with your updated Apple ID and password. The data in iCloud will automatically appear on your device after you sign in.
  • If you're signed in with your previous Apple ID:
    1. Click Sign Out. Depending on what iCloud options are turned on, you'll be asked if you want to make copies or delete iCloud data (Contacts, Calendar, Reminders, Bookmarks, Photo Stream) from your PC. Click Delete. Your data will remain in iCloud and will be updated on your device when you sign in to iCloud again.
    2. Sign in with your updated Apple ID and password.
Apple TV
To play content from your Mac or PC on an Apple TV, go to Settings > Accounts > iCloud (4th generation) or Settings > iCloud (3rd generation or earlier).

• If you're signed out, choose Sign In. You'll be asked to sign in with the Apple ID that you entered for the iTunes Store. If you use the same Apple ID for iCloud and the iTunes Store, choose Yes.
  • If you're signed in with your previous Apple ID, choose Sign Out, then choose Sign In. You'll be asked to sign in with the Apple ID that you entered for the iTunes Store. If you use the same Apple ID for iCloud and the iTunes Store, choose Yes.
divider.png

iTunes, iBooks, and App Store
Update your Apple ID and password on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, Apple TV, or Windows PC. iTunes includes iTunes Genius, iTunes Home Sharing, iTunes Match, iTunes Store, and iTunes U.

For the iTunes, iBooks, or App Store, go to Settings > iTunes & App Store.

• If you're signed in with your previous Apple ID, tap your Apple ID, then tap Sign Out. Then enter your updated Apple ID and password.
Open iTunes.

• If you're signed out, select Store > Sign In and enter your updated Apple ID and password.
  • If you're signed in with your previous Apple ID, select Store > Sign Out, then select Store > Sign In and enter your updated Apple ID and password.
Open iBooks.

• If you're signed out, choose Store > Sign In and enter your updated Apple ID and password.
  • If you're signed in with your previous Apple ID, choose Store > Sign Out, then choose Store > Sign In and enter your updated Apple ID and password.
Open the App Store.

• If you're signed out, click Sign In and enter your updated Apple ID and password.
  • If you're signed in with your previous Apple ID, choose Store > Sign Out, then click Sign In and enter your updated Apple ID and password.
Apple TV
Go to Settings > Accounts > iTunes and App Store (4th generation) or Settings > iTunes Store (3rd generation or earlier).

• If you're signed out, choose Sign In and enter your updated Apple ID and password.
  • If you're signed in with your previous Apple ID, choose Sign Out, then choose Sign In and enter your updated Apple ID and password.
For Home Sharing, go to Settings > Home Sharing (4th generation) or Settings > Computers (3rd generation or earlier), then choose Turn Off Home Sharing. When you're asked to confirm, choose Turn Off. Then choose Turn On Home Sharing, and enter your updated Apple ID and password.

Windows PC
Open iTunes.

• If you're signed out, select Store > Sign In and enter your updated Apple ID and password.
  • If you're signed in with your previous Apple ID, select Store > Sign Out, then select Store > Sign In and enter your updated Apple ID and password.
divider.png

Jobs at Apple
Go to Jobs at Apple and click My Profile.

mail info I received:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht202667

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT203983

Here is the message I'm getting:

"Problem turning on mail
There was a problem turning on your email, try again"

I am trying to create a @icloud.com email address with my apple ID (settings -> icloud -> mail).

I've also tried creating new apple Ids but that doesn't work either
[doublepost=1476893202][/doublepost]Change your Apple ID
Follow these steps to change the email address that you use as your Apple ID.

1. Sign out of every Apple service and device that uses your Apple ID.
  2. Sign in to your Apple ID account page.
  3. In the Account section, click Edit. Under your Apple ID, click Change Email Address. You might be asked to answer one or more of your security questions.
  4. Enter the email address that you want to use as your Apple ID. A verification code will be sent to your new email address.
    elcapitan-apple-id-account-change-apple-id-email.jpg
  5. Enter the verification code from the email into the fields provided and start using your updated Apple ID. Didn't get the email?
  6. Sign back in to all Apple services with your new Apple ID.
After you change your Apple ID, you need to use your new sign-in information with all Apple services that you use.

If you can't change your Apple ID
You can change your Apple ID to any other email address you control, as long as it's not already in use as an Apple ID. If your email address ends with @icloud.com, @me.com, or @mac.com, you might not be able to change your Apple ID. You also won't see Change Email Address on your account page.

If you want to sign in with a different Apple ID
If you want to change the Apple ID that you use on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch—and not change the email address that you use as your Apple ID—follow these steps to sign out, then back in with a different Apple ID.

FaceTime isn't available in all countries or regions.

Last Modified: Oct 7, 2016
Helpful?
[doublepost=1476893749][/doublepost]It told me when an email when an email was taken; just wouldn't let me use an iCloud email - until creating a new Apple ID; and then a new iCloud email address.

Yes: is very annoying, and would be nice if message was updated to " you need a new Apple ID; then a knew iCloud email address!"

This is the SOLUTION to this ISSUE

the error is misguiding, do not waste your time calling APPLE Support
what the error mean is that the email address you selected is already taken
change the email name you selected and try again.

Apple needs to modify this error message because it is just annoying and misleading
as taken.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.