Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Occasionally, when I try to upload a picture, I get this wonderful error message. I'm using iOS 10 and it is on both the phone and iPad.

IMG_0030.PNG

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Test

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 230

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I'm on an iPad Air 2 running iOS 10 (latest PB). I just took a portrait screenshot, cropped it to 9x16, and attempted to upload. I was met with this message:
IMG_0565.PNG

Last edited:
Reactions: grahamperrin

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Yes, it seems to be an iOS 10 issue. The XenForo folks looked into it and it appears that when you take a screenshot it saves as a JPG, but when you crop it in iOS 10, it changes the file extension to PNG while the file is actually still a JPG. XenForo and I both filed bug reports with Apple about it, so hopefully it will be resolved.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Yes, it seems to be an iOS 10 issue. The XenForo folks looked into it and it appears that when you take a screenshot it saves as a JPG, but when you crop it in iOS 10, it changes the file extension to PNG while the file is actually still a JPG. XenForo and I both filed bug reports with Apple about it, so hopefully it will be resolved.
Good know. Thanks for looking into it and getting back with me.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
A bit odd that extension in the name might still play that much of a role if the content itself could be detected and essentially used for those purposes (unless for some reason it can't).

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Apple still lists the bug report as open. No idea on a potential timeline for a fix.

Edit: Actually, I see XenForo included a workaround for this issue in their most recent update while they wait for Apple to address it. We'll look into scheduling an upgrade here.

Last edited:

Rod1

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2016
UK
I am getting the upload problem on my Macbook to a forum I belong to because the photo jpeg size is to big. How do I reduce the size from 3.4mb to under 976kb please.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
hey all, I know how to add a photo to any thread, however doing so with my new iPhone 7 plus, I get an error that states that my image is too large for the system to process. The photo is under 5mb and I shouldn't be getting that error. Even screen shots produce the same error. Any idea how to fix?

LoveMyMacPro

Suspended
Aug 22, 2015
hey all, I know how to add a photo to any thread, however doing so with my new iPhone 7 plus, I get an error that states that my image is too large for the system to process. The photo is under 5mb and I shouldn't be getting that error. Even screen shots produce the same error. Any idea how to fix?

I get the same error. It's kind of ridiculous that a photo taken with an iPhone can't be handled by the software for an Apple forum.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I get the same error. It's kind of ridiculous that a photo taken with an iPhone can't be handled by the software for an Apple forum.
You are still having issues? Seems like things have already been updated to address the issue.

(And the forum software really doesn't have anything to do with the forums/sites that it is being used on. To top that off, the underlying issue seems to be an Apple iOS bug.)

LoveMyMacPro

Suspended
Aug 22, 2015
You are still having issues? Seems like things have already been updated to address the issue.

(And the forum software really doesn't have anything to do with the forums/sites that it is being used on. To top that off, the underlying issue seems to be an Apple iOS bug.)

You should read the posts again. Two different issues. The bug had to do with file extension changes causing issues. The issue I and a couple of others posted has to do with the site refusing to accept image uploads taken from the iPhone 7+. It says they are too large to process. Never had that problem with my 6s+.

Rod1

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2016
UK
I am getting the upload problem on my Macbook to a forum I belong to because the photo jpeg size is to big. How do I reduce the size from 3.4mb to under 976kb please.
Not much point in posting on here, not getting any answers to my question.....

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
Old thread but i still can't post any screenshots from my iPhone. Has this been resolved or not?

Rod1

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2016
UK
Where exactly in the process are you running into trouble?

i have resolved it myself by reducing the image size.

It takes far to long to get a reply from this forum.

i have asked a question about updating my Macbook to Sierra and i still haven’t got a reply.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.