Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

micvog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2003
I have a 1.25GHz eMac (combo drive variant) that frequently shuts down seconds after being turned on. When it does boot, it goes to the Open Firmware screen. Occasionally, when first turning it on, the power light will flash a number of times and it will emit a "fog-horn" blare before getting to the normal start-up chime.

This is the first problem I had with the computer since purchasing it last fall for my Grandfather.

I have reset the PRAM a number of times, as well as "reset-NVRAM" and "reset-all" from Open Firmware.

Are there are any other suggestions before I take it to the local Apple Store (it is under warranty).

The eMac is currently running 10.3.8 although I was going to upgrade it to Tiger.

micvog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2003
Thanks berol for the reply. I couldn't get it to boot from the CD - it would usually turn off before then. However, after posting, I noticed that the power button the side of the eMac wasn't releasing fully. With some careful manipulation, the power button now fully releases and the eMac is working again and has passed the hardware test. My theory is that essentially the eMac was thinking it was suppose to turn off right after turning on due to the stuck power button.

I guess this goes in the "stupid user" column. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.