Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brynarw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2006
I've noticed something curious which I wonder if anyone can help me solve. I'm trying to use my ibook G4 to watch/listen to streaming video/audio clips on the BBC website.

When I connect to the internet using a direct ethernet connection to my ADSL modem, I can watch video and listen to audio just fine. But when I connect to the internet using an airport express connected via ethernet to my ADSL modem, I can't watch video but I can listen to audio.

I've done some investigating to try to understand why. When I do a speed test to check my internet connection upstream/downstream speeds, I get pretty much identical results (approx 4MB downstream 350k upstream) whether I connect via ethernet or airport express. So it doesn't seem to be a speed issue that's causing the problem watching BBC's streaming video over airport connection. The other strange thing is I can watch streaming video from other websites (Youtube, Google video, etc) just fine over airport. But I don't think there's a problem with the BBC website because as I said before, I can watch the streaming video just fine if I connect via ethernet rather than airport.

Any ideas anyone?

Sam

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Check the settings on the Airport? Also, repair permissions/disk, ect. Its always a good idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.