Problem with Airport Express network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by brynarw, Aug 23, 2006.

1. brynarw macrumors newbie

Aug 23, 2006
    I've noticed something curious which I wonder if anyone can help me solve. I'm trying to use my ibook G4 to watch/listen to streaming video/audio clips on the BBC website.

When I connect to the internet using a direct ethernet connection to my ADSL modem, I can watch video and listen to audio just fine. But when I connect to the internet using an airport express connected via ethernet to my ADSL modem, I can't watch video but I can listen to audio.

I've done some investigating to try to understand why. When I do a speed test to check my internet connection upstream/downstream speeds, I get pretty much identical results (approx 4MB downstream 350k upstream) whether I connect via ethernet or airport express. So it doesn't seem to be a speed issue that's causing the problem watching BBC's streaming video over airport connection. The other strange thing is I can watch streaming video from other websites (Youtube, Google video, etc) just fine over airport. But I don't think there's a problem with the BBC website because as I said before, I can watch the streaming video just fine if I connect via ethernet rather than airport.

Any ideas anyone?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Have you tried resetting the Express by unplugging it for thirty seconds or so? :)
  3. Shadow macrumors 68000

Feb 17, 2006
    Keele, United Kingdom
    Check the settings on the Airport? Also, repair permissions/disk, ect. Its always a good idea.