Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andycornwall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
I am really hopefull that someone here might have a solution to a major problem i have had now for 3 days..
My Mac mail has stopped working with my business email.

I have an imac with mac mail installed through which i have 2 hotmail accounts ( working perfectly ) and 1 business email acct ( which has worked perfectly for 2 years until 2 days ago )

The same business email is set up on my macair/imac/iphone, on wifi or ethernet it will not send or receive.

'There may be a problem with the mail server or network. Verify the settings for account “perfectdarts” or try again.

The server returned the error: The connection to the server “mail.perfectdarts.com” on port 110 timed out.'

I know the settings are correct as when i connect by 3g it works fine..The internet and everything else wifi or ethernet connected work fine..

It stopped working a few days ago and i have restarted everything several times, tried deleting the account and re-entering it, pretty much everything

Please can someone help, tearing my hair out?

( oh if i log in through my control panel, the email works fine that way, just not through mac mail )

andycornwall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
Further developments....

Tried to set up the business mail account on a windows laptop, that doesnt work either...

However went to a colleagues house and managed to set up the account on his mac no problem

Therefore there is something wrong at my house

is it router / i.p address or other

anyone?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
This may seem to be totally unrelated, but try it anyway.
- Quit Mail
- Open your Keychain Access (in utilities folder), and DELETE ALL of your mail-related passwords.
- Then reopen Mail. Of course, you will need to re-enter password information.
Does this change anything?

I would also suggest, if you're trying to diagnose Mail problems, that you TURN OFF wireless, 3g, etc., and use ONLY the ethernet connection. You want to remove all other "variables" from the mix...

Have you tried using Mail's "Connection Doctor" option?
What kind of results do you get?

Mail.app can be downright finicky sometimes.
I would suggest that you download "Thunderbird" from:
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/
(free app)

Thunderbird has a mail component.
Try setting that up with your account info.
Does it connect?
Can you send?
Can you receive?

If Thunderbird can send/receive (generate some self-addressed "test messages"), you know your internet connections and computer hardware are fine, and that any problems you are having are with Mail.app itself, probably settings.

I have had instances where Mail.app wouldn't send, yet TBird worked just fine.

andycornwall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
Thanks for the info pal, however as in the follow up post, the problem isnt with mac mail as i cant get it to work on an ethernet connected windows pc either....
Yet everything else works, all my other mail accounts work and they all work away from the home...

?

pleasehelpjrc

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2014
Mail version 7.3 questions (OSX 10.9.4)

Q1 What are the blue bars highlighting some message subjects for?

Q2 If I create a new smart mailbox and subsequently delete it will the messages contained in the smart mailbox still be in my inbox or will they be deleted?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.