Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harperdg33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2017
Scotland, Aberdeen
Hi folks,
Hopefully I have listed this in the correct area as I have tried to look for my issue but haven't found anything exact to list it under.

Anyway my problem is, I have just purchased a Mac Mini i7 16GB 256GB SSD (2014) from a friend. I have done a complete wipe and fresh install of the latest Mac OS Sierra. I have attached 2 x External Drives. 1 is 4TB which I have set up as my main Photos library and the other is a 8TB Drive which I have set up as my iTunes library.

Everything is working well. all my itunes stuff is showing up in the 8TB Drive and my Photos have imported into my 4TB Drive within the Photos Library.

My issue is last night I went into the Storage Tab via, Apple Icon > About this Mac> Storage and after a few seconds of scanning all my drives it is listed as my Macintosh HD (256GB SSD) as having 106.55GB of photos stored in it. But the 4TB Drive is only listing the Photos storage as 60GB.

I have also gone in via Disk utility to check the drives and it is only showing about 5GB of actual disk space used in my main SSD Drive. It shows nothing of the Photos storage which is coming up via the "about my mac" view.

I have looked at my Photos Folder in my main Drive and there is nothing there.

As I have my original photos backed on on another drive I have decided to delete all the photos from Photos App and also delete the photos library and start over.

But I just wanted to see if anyone else has encountered this problem or if this is a known bug in Sierra.

Thanks for your time in reading this.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Sounds like a Spotlight glitch - that view uses Spotlight indexes to show those total. Ignoring the types of data shown, does the total amount of data in use on each disk match when looking in About This Mac > Storage versus looking in Disk Utility or Finder?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I agree with Freakin above.
So long as everything "looks ok" in the finder, and so long as you can access it, and no other problems, don't worry about what the storage tab says.

If things work -- let it be.

BLUEDOG314

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2015
If spotlight is indeed the issue, go to system preferences, spotlight, then privacy. Add to the list (that should currently be empty) The internal SSD and any attached storage drives. You want to make sure you add the entire physical disk. Then back out of system preferences to make sure this takes effect. This will remove the spotlight indexes for these drives. Go back in and remove them from the privacy list and spotlight will reindex them. Give it ample time as this will take a while, and see if issue is resolved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.