Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Since I replaced my Dad's G4 DVD-ROM drive with a DVD-RW drive, I wanted to put the drive in my G3 MiniTower, well I did. It works fine as a CD drive but when I insert a DVD it takes time appearing on the desktop. Then I notice I don't have a DVD Player Application on my MiniTower so I drag and drop one from the Mac G4 and I double click and a diolog box pops up saying "Cannot run on this machine configiration..." or something similar to that. Do I need a DVD encoder or something? I have an Apple AV in and out card that was built into the machine when I bought it. Does it act as a DVD decoder? Any help help would be great

applemacdude

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2001
Over The Rainbow
You have three options for your beige minitower..._

The Beige G3 has an optional and rare DVD-A/V Personality Card that would also do DVD Decoding freeing up the CPU to engage in other tasks. But you can always use

1) Findig a third party DVD decode card for your PCI slot (like the "Wired4DVD" product...no longer in production).
2) Track down a DVD-A/V Personality Card.
3) Get a RageOrion or better card (like the Radeon 7000) and the hacked patch Apple DVD Player software app (you will need a 400Mhz+ CPU to get this to work well). It is my understanding that the hack is required in order to get the software to install as it is supposed to install on newer machines only...it does a hardware check before installing...I think.

But you can always use
VLC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.